Talk

Advanced search

Whose fence?

(15 Posts)
museumum Sat 15-Apr-17 16:15:49

I see a lot of "my fence" "neighbours fence" threads on here - but how do you know whether a fence is yours or your neighbours when you buy a house?
confused

museumum Sat 15-Apr-17 16:16:58

And if you want to paint a fence that encloses your garden, on your side, do you need to ask if it's not yours?

HeyCat Sat 15-Apr-17 16:20:11

Sometimes your deeds will say who's responsible for each fence.

Mostly people just assume that whoever has previously built or maintained the fence owns it and is responsible.

museumum Sat 15-Apr-17 16:22:16

Elderly neighbours have been here 60 years! I guess we just pain't it - not sure if we need to "ask permission" though.

wowfudge Sat 15-Apr-17 17:58:22

Definitely speak to your​ neighbours before you do anything and check the title register and plan.

INeedNewShoes Sat 15-Apr-17 18:00:53

The deeds are the only way to establish who owns the fence.

People will tell you it's the one on the left or whoever's side has the posts but I looked into this and the deeds are the only legitimate way to find out.

INeedNewShoes Sat 15-Apr-17 18:01:48

I'm pretty sure you can paint your side of any fence regardless of ownership.

thatdearoctopus Sat 15-Apr-17 18:28:43

It's a commonly-held belief that it's "always the left-hand fence" that's yours but according to our local council, that's rubbish.

dementedpixie Sat 15-Apr-17 18:37:33

We just kinda share the side fences and paint them without consulting neighbours. Doesn't say anything on our deeds about ownership

PigletJohn Sat 15-Apr-17 19:19:41

you are no more entitled to paint a fence that belongs to someone else, than to paint their house or their car.

If you ask first, and don't use a garish colour that will run through the cracks, they may agree.

If you would prefer to own the fence, ask the neighbours carefully who it belongs to, saying it needs work. Some neighbours will deny ownership because the don't want the expense.

museumum Sat 15-Apr-17 22:10:28

It's currently unpainted their side and really patchily orange our side.

I will speak to them before we do anything.

museumum Sat 15-Apr-17 22:12:49

Although I don't think the car or house comparisons are valid. The side facing our house is 100% visible from all our windows and 0% visible from any of theirs.

DanceTheBlues Sat 15-Apr-17 22:14:34

I had to check the deeds after a recent storm blew down a few panels and it says they're a "shared responsibility". The deeds will nearly always have the answer.

CycleHire Sat 15-Apr-17 22:46:10

We're at the end of the row and we are responsible for all our boundaries. When our fence between our neighbour's garden and ours blew down we replaced it. Traditionally the fixings are on the side that is responsible for it but thats not a 100% guide. In your case if all you want to do is paint it I'd just ask.

wowfudge Sun 16-Apr-17 01:27:46

The point PigletJohn​ is making is that the fence may be your neighbours'. It may be owned entirely by them and could well be 100% on their land within their boundary. The fact you can see one side of it and they can't is immaterial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now