Talk

Advanced search

Removing window to get sofa in

(18 Posts)
Twodogsandahooch Fri 14-Apr-17 18:08:36

Evening everyone.

We've finally completed on our house. By chance I had ordered a new sofa the day before the property came up on rightmove.

Bit concerned that it won't get into our new living room because of the position of the door.

I really like the sofa and it was a bit of a bargain in an M&S flash sale so quite keen to keep it .

According to google it is possible to get someone to 'pop' out your window to get it in? Does this really happen? Has anyone done this and if so how much did it cost?

AprilSkies44 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:37:03

if its upvc yes - ive done it. got a local handy man for £20!

Twodogsandahooch Fri 14-Apr-17 20:14:56

Thanks April . Remembered a friend's DH is a glazier too. he's asked for a photo but also said it should be fairly straightforward. Hopefully sofa won't be heading to eBay yet!

RedBugMug Fri 14-Apr-17 20:18:07

no way.
in any case it's a messy/dusty jib

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 14-Apr-17 20:23:45

We paid £80 10 years ago to get our window removed for the sofa to go in. We will have to do it again, but it's a nightmare to co-ordinate the new sofa coming at the same time as the glaziers being there so the new sofa doesn't have sit out in the rain. It's more likely that we'll chop up the current sofa and buy a new one that will fit through our hall!

RoganJosh Fri 14-Apr-17 20:25:42

I also paid £80 10 years ago, to pop out a wooden window frame, but in the end it went through the open window.
I got the details from the sofa company, so that might be how you find them.

MoreProseccoNow Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:04

Yep, 3 years ago. Had to have window & frame removed, plus removals firm had to use a cherry picker to lift it to 1st floor lounge. Cost £185 for glazier to attend & extra £60 for removers to come back but cheaper than replacing M&S leather sofa.

eternalopt Fri 14-Apr-17 20:59:12

Upvc windows pop out of their frames quite easily in the right hands. You'll be grand.

user1471467016 Fri 14-Apr-17 21:09:52

We did this, the glazier said it was common, took barely anytime and cost £20

Floggingmolly Fri 14-Apr-17 21:11:33

Upvc windows don't sound very burgler proof confused

gamerchick Fri 14-Apr-17 21:13:33

Upvc windows don't sound very burgler proof confused

They're not, they take the kitchen window out around here when they knock your house off.

Waterlemon Fri 14-Apr-17 21:30:06

We just had to have this done! Luckily we have a friend that is a window fitter.

If you have large panels, that the sofa can fit through, they can just take the glass out. But ours was a bay with smaller panes, so he had to take out all the glass panels, then remove the frame and put a prop in to support the lintel.

And yes - upvc is not secure at all, you would be amazed at just how quickly he "popped" out the glass panels using some simple tools! My sil was recently burgled, they just smashed their way through her double glazed door!

Probably took about 90 mins to take window out, move sofa and put window back!

Waterlemon Fri 14-Apr-17 21:31:28

Meanwhile the delivery guy left the sofa upended in the hallway so that it wasn't left outside.

Twodogsandahooch Fri 14-Apr-17 21:52:59

Thanks everyone - sounds like it is a goer. I think it will fit through the middle panel so hopefully won't need to remove the whole frame.

i bet after all this the removers will get it in through the door!

eternalopt Sat 15-Apr-17 02:09:59

I think it's only easy from the inside (have to remove bedding and then there's clips on the inside) so still burglar proof. Otherwise, home insurers would have a field day with premiums!

wowfudge Sat 15-Apr-17 06:48:08

Yes - to remove UPVC window glass it has to be done from the inside where there is a removable bead.

BonTemps Sat 15-Apr-17 07:05:46

Not all windows are internally beaded. Some of the old ones are externally beaded, my ex is a window fitter and could pop a window out in less than a minute.

Waterlemon Mon 17-Apr-17 15:59:18

Ours are glazed from outside! They are probably 20 years old!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now