Talk

Advanced search

If you go to stay with a friend/family for weekend or week etc.....Do you fully unpack? What would you like to see in the bedroom?

(12 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Fri 14-Apr-17 11:28:36

We are sorting out our spare room atm

It has a king size bed and a dressing table with small drawers and a mirror

There will also be 2 bed side tables with lamps

There is also a studio couch (which is a single bed/settee can be expanded to double but not enough room in spare room so is set up like a settee) nowadays think it would be called a daybed, so our friends with a young DD can sleep in there altogether or it can be used by other visitors as a settee for reading or chatting or whatever

There isn't really floor room for a proper wardrobe so am thinking of the wall rack thingys that bed & breakfast have so that you can hang dresses or shirts etc up

The toilet and shower room aren't ensuite but are next door

My main question is when you go away for a) weekend or b) week or c) longer stay do you fully unpack all of your clothes?

and if you do - do you also want a full sized chest of drawers?* *(which would fit under the window but might make it hard to get round the bottom of the bed)

For various reasons we are not going to remove any of the things already in the room so am asking what else do we need to put into it?

When we go away we are in our motorhome so our "stuff" stays in there

smilesmilesmile

Asmoto Fri 14-Apr-17 11:35:49

I don't fully unpack, but then I'm very lazy about that sort of thing. If I've brought anything smart which I don't want to crease, I'll hang it up, but that's about it. A few coat hangers and somewhere to hang them would suffice for me.

Your furnishings sound more than adequate to me, and I think being able to move round easily would be preferable to adding an extra chest of drawers.

TartYvette Fri 14-Apr-17 11:38:08

Definitely open hooks and shelves so they don't leave anything behind!

HeyCat Fri 14-Apr-17 11:42:39

Don't bother with the extra drawers.

I usually leave stuff in my case anyway.

RTKangaMummy Fri 14-Apr-17 11:48:19

Oke doke brill thank you smilesmilesmile

Forgot to say there are 2 hooks on back of door

So instead of the chest of drawers under the window we will go with the hanging combo thingys that fix onto the wall that I think can be done with shelves and hanging rails (with coat hangers that can hang dresses/shirts and trousers)

There is also a small bookcase with various books on

Thank you

smilesmilesmile

LumpishAndIllogical Fri 14-Apr-17 11:51:42

Yeah I don't fully unpack when staying. Just need someone to hang a few things. Too many draws not really necessary, I wouldn't get any more draws. Shelves and open stuff are better as PP said. Minimalist as poss is always best when I stay somewhere... hate the cluttered feel when staying at someone's house.

RTKangaMummy Fri 14-Apr-17 12:00:40

Oke doke thank you you guys are brilliant smilesmilesmilesmile

Deffo no chest of drawers - excellent news cos agree being able to get around the end of bed is more important smilesmilesmile

Also means you can then look out of window easier

So will get hanging thingy that fixes to the wall so that dresses etc can be hung up and open shelves if you want to unpack jumpers or whatever etc

smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

MrsGotobed Fri 14-Apr-17 12:07:09

You could put up some of those Shaker hooks/pegs that have a shallow shelf above - they don't stick out into the room very far so won't limit room space IYSWIM.

The shelf bit on the top would be handy for toiletries, hairbrush and odds and sods.

Shortdarkandfeisty Fri 14-Apr-17 12:11:02

I would go for hooks on the walls - I stayed in an hotel a while back that had these and they were fine for a couple of days and didn't take up much space, I'll see if I can find a photo to show you what I mean.

Shortdarkandfeisty Fri 14-Apr-17 12:14:28

This sort of thing, where the dressing gown is hanging:

www.thetravelmagazine.net/wp-content/uploads/Drakes-Hotel-Brighton-Circular-sea-facing-King-Room.jpg

kel1493 Fri 14-Apr-17 12:21:17

I fully unpack as I find it easiest. I fully unpack when I'm in a hotel for a night
It sounds fine to me

RTKangaMummy Fri 14-Apr-17 12:22:30

The dressing table has enough room for hairbrush, make up and other bits and bobs and you can sit at it do do make up etc it has mirrors on it too

Those hooks with hanging things for coat hangers look a great and simple solution smile

Thank you guys smilesmilesmilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now