Talk

Advanced search

Dulux supermatt

(7 Posts)
RaspberryPi1 Thu 13-Apr-17 20:55:47

To take advantage of the easter break we will be painting a newly plastered bedroom.
Plaster is dry (was done autumn last year). We will be painting the walls and ceiling white, and one side will have a little colour!

I know I need to paint one mist coat (1 part water, 3 parts paint), but after that do i do another? And if any how much water to add?
As it will be kept white, can I get away with dulux supermatt for everything?

Thanks!

wowfudge Thu 13-Apr-17 21:24:01

If you look on the tub it says to do a second coat of one part water to five parts paint. We have done just this recently and the second thicker coat is fine on ceilings so you'll probably be fine with the two coats. Not sure how durable it is on walls - we're painting a kitchen so have put Kitchen Matt over the top in the colour we like.

We did the first thin coat with brushes as it would have splattered everywhere with a roller. Second thicker coat we used rollers.

RaspberryPi1 Thu 13-Apr-17 21:33:41

Thanks for the quick response, have just finished reading the tin where it states the second coat blush

Will use a brush for the first coat!

PigletJohn Fri 14-Apr-17 00:05:51

Dulux Supermatt is specifically designed for use on new plaster that is still drying out. So it is non-vinyl and is porous.

Other emulsions containing vinyls are designed to be highly durable, resistant to dirt, and to withstand vigorous cleaning.

Which of those options best matches your requirements?

RaspberryPi1 Fri 14-Apr-17 08:33:34

Plaster has dried out. So I imagine the latter. I'll do a mist cost and apply the supermatt to the ceiling.

Two walls haven't been plastered. One is quite dark, the other white. Am I right in thinking I should not do a mist coat on either.

SmellTheGlove Fri 14-Apr-17 09:25:14

You only need a mist coat on the fresh plaster. We used a roller but was very splattery! Didn't matter much to us though as renovating whole house so no carpets etc to worry about and I spent a year covered in paint so was past caring! Then I recommend Dulux Trade Diamond Matte for white walls. It's expensive (cheapest in Wickes we discovered) but we found we needed fewer coats. We have that everywhere as it's fantastic to apply and easy to clean. For other colours we colour matched Dulux Endurance, also a great paint. If the other walls are painted you will need to wash and lightly sand them. Enjoy!

PigletJohn Fri 14-Apr-17 10:51:27

the mist coat is for bare absorbent surfaces. Bare plaster, and also patches of bare filler. On filler patches, give them a coat or two of unthinned paint after misting, or the texture will show through different to the rest of the wall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now