Popping/cracking noises following new extension

(6 Posts)
W0rriedMum Thu 13-Apr-17 10:25:30

We just got an extension which is primarily wood based with tiles on the roof. The problem is that there are loud bangs or "pops" on a regular basis. Some light sleepers have been been woken by the random noises.

I've googled and it suggests that it's either new wood settling or changes in temp. I don't think it can be the second in this weather (mild Spring weather where we are). The new wood theory suggests that it settles within a year.

We used a very reputable builder although things were strained at the end for unrelated reasons.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

wowfudge Thu 13-Apr-17 11:15:33

What you have found out sounds reasonable to me. You do hear noises when the temperature drops in the evening​ and as things warm up in the morning in lots of buildings.

Are there any visible signs of movement?

littlestar34 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:10:45

We have heard that too. Our extension was finished at xmas. Quite relieved that it is normal. Phew!!

Tobolsk Thu 13-Apr-17 14:15:45

As the wood dries out it warps/ moves. After a while it settles. It's normal.

We live in a area where we have cold dry winters and hot humid summers. Doors we can't close in the summer are too small for the frame in the winter

JT05 Thu 13-Apr-17 14:38:53

Our H/H is timber framed and is always making noises, despite being 50 years old! You get used to it. I think the houses is talking!

W0rriedMum Mon 17-Apr-17 19:39:09

Thanks all, this has been a relief to find I am not alone with the noises!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now