Talk

Advanced search

legal advice needed on gifting of a deposit

(8 Posts)
ambereeree Wed 12-Apr-17 16:17:42

Will a mortgage lender accept a gift deposit from a partners parent if the couple aren't married and it's not a joint mortgage? Mortgage is in my name and partners mother wants to gift a large deposit.

wowfudge Wed 12-Apr-17 16:22:10

Yes but she will need to comply with proof of ID etc to satisfy anti money laundering regs and she will also need to provide a signed statement that the money is a gift and she does not expect it to be paid back.

ambereeree Wed 12-Apr-17 16:23:42

Does it matter we're not related?

SellFridges Wed 12-Apr-17 16:28:04

Our mortgage provider gave a form for this situation. Parent of partner was one of the relations listed I am sure.

SellFridges Wed 12-Apr-17 16:29:20

This was it, I just checked and it says of a spouse so you'd need to check their definition of that intermediary.tsb.co.uk/pdf/Gifted-Deposit-Letter-TSB10594-20150720.pdf

ambereeree Wed 12-Apr-17 16:43:11

Ok so probably not with tsb. Mortgage is with halifax if it makes a difference

Nightmanagerfan Wed 12-Apr-17 16:48:03

The gifter will also need to give three months bank statements showing the money in their account. Alternatively if you have time they could transfer to you three months ahead and then you can just show your bank statements.

ambereeree Wed 12-Apr-17 17:22:03

I have the statements ready and she is happy to sign paperwork just worried that we're not related.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now