Talk

Advanced search

Packing! Your best tips please?

(7 Posts)
user1484830599 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:00:47

I am a week away from completion and surrounded by boxes.

Any tips?

twilightcafe Wed 12-Apr-17 15:02:15

Pay the removal company to do it, if you can. Chuck or hide what you don't want packed and leave them to do the rest.

They will have your house packed in two days.

user1484830599 Wed 12-Apr-17 15:06:58

I'd love to, but not an option unfortunately! Moving ourselves in a hired van.

Svalberg Wed 12-Apr-17 15:30:35

The kitchen will always take longer than you think, and things fall out of bin bags used to move stuff.

anotherBadAvatar Wed 12-Apr-17 15:39:45

Slight organisation freak here, but my method for packing was this:

Pack first all things not going to be needed in next few months (winter clothes/shoes/books/decorative items etc).

Label each box with the room it is to GO INTO in the new house - kitchen/spare room/master bedroom and give the box a number.

On a sheet of paper or little book, write down the rooms and box numbers for example:

Spare bedroom (box 1)
- old shoes
- picture frames
- candles
- coat hangers

So that when you're after coat hangers (or whatever) all you need to do to remind yourself where they are, is to look in the correct room and find box 1.

Don't overpack boxes (esp books)

DECLUTTER as you go - easier to do it as you pack than on the other side of the move.

Have the last box packed as your "emergency" box - with all the useful things you need for the first night:

- tea bags/coffee
- couple of mugs/plates/spoons
- simple toiletries
- loo roll
- cleaning spray and wipes
- phone charger
- radio
- important documentation
- bottle of wine!

dudsville Wed 12-Apr-17 15:41:49

So, um, what pp said! You nailed it ABA! Good luck OP!

user1484830599 Wed 12-Apr-17 16:10:40

Thanks everyone! Thanks ABA for the list too.

It just feels like I've been packing for weeks and not made much progress. The house is a bombsite and there is just STUFF everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now