Talk

Advanced search

Tenancy deposit protection claim - should I bother?

(10 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:22:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SloanePeterson Wed 12-Apr-17 13:25:10

I'm pretty sure that you paid your deposit before it was a legal requirement for them to be paid into the scheme so you couldn't claim. Best to walk away as he'll now have no chance of screwing over the next tenant anyway. Our old landlord tried to do it with us, the tenancy deposit people saw right through it.

Beeswax2017 Wed 12-Apr-17 13:29:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Owllady Wed 12-Apr-17 13:29:43

Urgh
I really wish there was some sort of landlord advisor website where you could rate your landlord angry
After ten years any carpets would have wear and tear unless you were a family of fairies who flew around everywhere
I'm so pleased you got your deposit back

Sunnyshores Wed 12-Apr-17 13:35:01

If you discovered this while you were living there, then yes Id say report him, or if he hadnt returned your deposit again, Id say report him, but you got your deposit back so ultimately you havent suffered, to make a claim now would just be greedy.

If you want to make sure he hasnt done it to someone else, write to the new tenants and warn them.

BumbleNova Wed 12-Apr-17 13:35:42

definitely do it! it is a legal requirement and there are substantial penalties for LLs. have a look at the deposit scheme websites? they generally have good information.

BumbleNova Wed 12-Apr-17 13:37:51

www.gov.uk/tenancy-deposit-protection/if-your-landlord-doesnt-protect-your-deposit

england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/tenancy_deposit_protection_rules

basically - you are due up to 3 times the amount of your deposit. that might be a nice sum to help with a new place?

ShortLass Wed 12-Apr-17 13:39:32

I think, as you have got your deposit back (quite right too!), I would leave it.

Just enjoy your new home and forget about this person. It is not worth the personal stress, IMO.

Kiroro Wed 12-Apr-17 14:15:45

*From 6 April 2007 these new requirements came into force as three
Government approved tenancy deposit schemes were established.*
www.tenancydepositscheme.com/resources/files/Tenancy%20Deposit%20Protection%20-%20A%20guide%20to%20the%20legislation.pdf

You have a claim.

If you see this as a bit of a game, and it isn't going to stress you out then go for it. Fuck him. He was a bad landlord, maybe this could be his bad karma.

Fivetoomany Wed 12-Apr-17 14:18:34

It's pretty simple. He has broken the law by not putting your deposit in a protection scheme. So you should report him and anything you gain will be your reward for doing the right thing!wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now