Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much would you pay/charge for this?

(12 Posts)
passmethewine123 Tue 11-Apr-17 14:39:15

I am doing some decorating for a friend, I'm self employed, not trying to do anything on the sly but I'm not a decorator so unsure how much to charge.
I've painted 5 internal panel doors, each side has had 3 coats including removal and replacing the door furniture. Plus sanding and painting of the architrave for the doorways, both sides. Have also planed the bottom of three of the doors where they were sticking on the floor (like this before I started I might add!) Have spent about £40 on materials.

I don't want to charge her too much but at the same time I don't want to sell myself short. I'm a good painter, just a little slow!
We're in the northwest so tradesmen in this area are reasonably cheap compared to the south/London etc.

wowfudge Tue 11-Apr-17 14:42:40

How many hours or days have you spent doing the work in total?

steppemum Tue 11-Apr-17 14:52:29

invoice materials and time seperately, you can show her the receipts for the materials.
I agree the amount of time is relevant.
It would take me about...hmmm...20-30 minutes per side per coat? so for one door x 2 sides x 3 coats that is between 2 and 3 hours per door, but that doesn't include removing handles and preparation, and having to wait for coats to dry etc.

So for 5 doors plus all the bits I am guessing about 2-3 days work?

I have no idea how long it would take to remove the doors to shave off the bottoms, that might be very time consuming.

steppemum Tue 11-Apr-17 14:53:40

sorry, that timing doesn't include the door frames and architraves, forgot about those, and they are fiddly to sand.

passmethewine123 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:02:01

Thanks for the responses!

So far the work I have done is the painting of all the doors, planing the bottoms and painting two of the architraves. So far that's been 3 days work. I've got three remaining architraves to do - these ones need more prepping as it's old paintwork in poor condition.

JumpingJellybeanz Tue 11-Apr-17 15:05:23

Our workmen charge labour at £35 per hour for a qualified tradesman and £17 per hour for non-skilled.

steppemum Tue 11-Apr-17 15:18:15

That seems about right time wise, not as if you have been really slow.
So what you need to work out is what a reasonable daily rate is for 4-5 days work.
If you are self employed, do you do other stuff at a dialy rate? Can you fine out what local odd job work rate is? (as you are not a professional)

I am a bit surprised you didn't discuss cost before you started, did they give you any idea of how much they expected to pay you?
5 days properly paid work could be expensive.

passmethewine123 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:33:19

Ahh yes we did discuss price a little but she basically wants the work done, whatever the cost. She has been wanting this stuff done for over a year now so I think she has got to the point where she doesn't actually care anymore!
I was thinking a day rate of about £60, when I say a day they have been more like 6hrs of actually hands on working time as I've been starting about 9ish, an hour for coffee break and lunch (combined) and leaving about 4 as I have other commitments. Which gives me an hourly rate of £10, possibly a little low blush

Ginslinger Tue 11-Apr-17 15:34:27

I think you should charge 12.50 per hour

newmumwithquestions Tue 11-Apr-17 15:42:47

In the south (not london) we pay mates rates of £100 a day, 'professionals' are more. I think £60/day is too low. Bearing in mind it's a shortish day how about £75 a day.

passmethewine123 Tue 11-Apr-17 15:44:01

Yeah I agree with £12.50 an hour. I only know one other handy man/any job type of guy and his hourly rate is £12.50. I'm sure she will be happy to pay that smile

Maverick66 Tue 11-Apr-17 16:08:59

Yes £12.50 per hour sounds reasonable smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now