Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

hobs - opinions and advice greatly appreciated!

(19 Posts)
YorkshireTea86 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:12:34

I know mn has a love of induction hobs however I'm pretty set on staying with gas hob when we get the kitchen done but can't make up my mind on whether to get a 5 ring one at 75cm with a wok ring on the side or stick with a 4 ring one and maybe get the portable induction hob IKEA have (thinking that this might be handy to buy while the kitchen is being done so I will be able to do rice/pasta/soup still!) dh doesn't think we need 5 rings but it can be a bit squished on current 4 rings when I'm having to cook something separate for the kids.
also has anyone had an IKEA hob?
who'd have thought there would be so many decisions in a kitchen?! shock

wowfudge Mon 10-Apr-17 15:25:04

Just get an induction hob. I bought a single one one eBay for use whilst we have no kitchen and it is brilliant and so easy to keep clean. We have bought an induction range for the new kitchen.

magicstar1 Mon 10-Apr-17 15:28:13

I have an Ikea hob...absolutely love it - but it's induction. I'd never go back to gas.

specialsubject Mon 10-Apr-17 15:37:51

Electric hobs? Nasty uncontrollable things. Love gas, admittedly I am on LPG so am also power cut proof.

Anyway - if you are squashed on four rings then get five.

wowfudge Mon 10-Apr-17 16:24:38

special induction is as responsive as gas and extremely quick to heat things up. Plus it won't go out wink. You can have it at the merest simmer or power boost it for extra oomph. Nothing like the electric or indeed ceramic hobs of old.

snowgirl1 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:27:39

We got a 4 ring hob (although not an Ikea one) and I wish we'd got a 5 ring hob.

Badders123 Mon 10-Apr-17 16:53:01

God
I LOVE my IKEA induction hob
I would NEVER have gas again!

magimedi Mon 10-Apr-17 17:25:28

I've used both & far prefer a gas hob.

And, if there are power cuts, you are so much better off with gas.

Kiroro Mon 10-Apr-17 17:34:14

And, if there are power cuts, you are so much better off with gas.

How many times in the past 5 years have you experienced a power cut?

And, of those times... how many have you been in the position where it has impacted dinner?

If 'POWER CUT FEAR' is a real consideration, you could always keep a camping stove in the shed/garage/cupboard just in case.

NetballHoop Mon 10-Apr-17 17:38:29

We have a five ring gas hob with the central one as the wok ring and I like it. I've never used an induction hob though. Don't you need special pans?

One thing though, if the wok is on the central burner it can be a bit of a squeeze to fit other large pots of the remaining rings.

YorkshireTea86 Mon 10-Apr-17 17:43:20

Yes you need special pans, we only have 1 or 2 which would work, one of the reasons I'm sticking with gas. Netball, my sil used to have one like that with the wok burner in the middle and always found it hard to fit another big pan on which is why I have only been looking at the ones with the wok burner to the side, unfortunately they seem to be more expensive.
I'd probably only need the space once every few months so that's why I'm thinking that buying the single induction thing might work, plus I'd get an extra 15cms orpf worksurface the rest of the time!

wowfudge Mon 10-Apr-17 18:15:23

The pans I have had for umpteen years work fine on induction. If you like the single induction hob though OP, it will end up taking up more space than 15cm because you'll have it out regularly.

If we had had a power cut when we had gas, chances were I'd have been cooking in the dark and it wouldn't have been safe anyway! Plus the hob had electric ignition so we'd have been fumbling to find the matches.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 10-Apr-17 19:58:58

We also have an induction hob, love it. We did a short term renovation of the kitchen about 2.5years ago and put in a glass ceramic hob because I thought I'd have to replace my beloved wedding present (sad!) pans. It was fine. Before that, in last house, we'd had an IKEA kitchen with an IKEA gas hob, which again was fine.

Turns out I didn't need to change my pans (other than the frying pan) and induction us so much better than anything I've had before.

Ta1kinPeace Mon 10-Apr-17 20:51:02

I would never ever go back to gas after having induction
- faster than gas
- cheaper than gas
- cleaner than gas
- safer than gas

Chottie Mon 10-Apr-17 20:53:47

I would never, ever go back to gas either......

I have an induction hob, it is so easy clean too and cooks like a dream.

YorkshireTea86 Mon 10-Apr-17 21:05:01

Those who have the induction, how do you deal with using a wok? We use ours at least twice a week, sometimes more. And how many zones do you have?

kel1493 Mon 10-Apr-17 21:07:05

I would only ever have a full gas cooker. Don't like electric at all

scaryteacher Mon 10-Apr-17 21:09:43

I loathe induction, and can't wait to move back to UK and my slab of cast iron on my range. We get power cuts abroad and the UK, so I have a camping gas stove, a woodburner with a flat top, and a gas BBQ.

Ta1kinPeace Mon 10-Apr-17 21:10:25

kel
What do you not like about induction ?

Induction works by magnetism.
You cannot compare it with other types of electric.
Its faster than gas to heat up and cool down fora start

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now