Talk

Advanced search

Tumble dryer is warping the floor

(13 Posts)
ButtfaceMiscreant Mon 10-Apr-17 14:04:07

I am hoping someone here may be able to help me think of a solution - Google is not helping me!

We have a condenser tumble dryer in our dining room (only place to put it) on laminate wood flooring. The heat from the bottom of the machine started to warp the floor at the front, so we raised it temporarily on two foam playmats; this hasn't worked and now the floor to the side is warping.

Is there anything we can do other than replace that section of floor (it is the click in style laminate so hoping we can replace that section fairly easily)? If we were to get something else to rest it on, what material would be best and would be most likely to prevent further warping?

GloriaV Mon 10-Apr-17 14:10:33

Is it the heat? Could it be something to do with damp air blowing out. Is the water dripping out somewhere, where does the water drain to? Maybe it's running back and dripping to the floor.
I've never noticed my dryer being that hot.
Any chance you can complain and have the dryer taken back by the supplier if it's new?

ButtfaceMiscreant Mon 10-Apr-17 14:18:19

Yeah I think it is the heat - the room is always really warm when it is on, but I assumed that was normal? The water collects in a tank on the inside of the door (it's a see-through door like you get on a washing machine) which we have had to replace twice in a year as it keeps cracking (luckily under warranty). We have only had the machine for 11 months, so potentially could sort it through the supplier.

I take it you can normally put a condensing tumble dryer on laminate flooring with no issues then?

ButtfaceMiscreant Mon 10-Apr-17 14:22:33

www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/laundry/tumble-dryers/hoover-vtc5911nb-condenser-tumble-dryer-white-10131926-pdt.html

It is very similar to this machine - I can't remember the individual code but it is Hoover and looks identical to that visually! Sorry it isn't linked, I can't seem to get it to work on my phone.

ButtfaceMiscreant Mon 10-Apr-17 14:23:06

Oh, it did it automatically! grin

GloriaV Tue 11-Apr-17 06:56:11

Looking on google I can't see anyone saying that heat buckled their floor .
Buckling or warping is almost always as a result of moisture and/ or water damage. Laminate flooring is affected by water in a number of ways. High moisture content in the air can sometimes lead to buckling or warping. Excessive water on the surface of the floor can also lead to buckling or warping.23 Jan 2012
But there should (reading Google) be an expansion gap at the edge of the floor, I think it means, to allow for expansion when the humidity is high.

GloriaV Tue 11-Apr-17 06:58:33

Maybe just a fan in front of the machine would move the damp air away and stop the problem.
Or try a dehumidifier or leaving windows wide open, just to work out what the prob is, not full time.

wowfudge Tue 11-Apr-17 08:24:17

Is it really not possible for the tumble dryer to be stacked on top of the washing machine or on a worktop somewhere?

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 11-Apr-17 09:28:07

Thank you GloriaV, I will look in to those ideas. There was/is a gap but maybe it isn't enough so will look into that and how we can create a bigger one if need be.

wowfudge sadly not; our kitchen is tiny so only has space for the washing machine and the worktop above is needed for the space it provides for kettle/toaster/prep surface. The only other place we could put it would be our bedroom, possibly, but we aren't sure if it would work there. A bigger kitchen/utility room is on the list of non-negotiable requirements for when we move!

PigletJohn Tue 11-Apr-17 09:38:12

It'll be the damp, from steam or leaks.

Try a plastic or rubber mat under it, or an offcut of vinyl flooring

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 11-Apr-17 09:55:14

We have propped it up with foam playmats but that is just temporary; I will get something plastic or vinyl, thanks PigletJohn.

tooearlytobeup Tue 11-Apr-17 12:19:42

I have the same sort of dryer. If the bottom filter is full it causes hot water to leak out from underneath, is it that? I didn't realise for a while that there was a second filter that needed to be cleaned

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 11-Apr-17 15:17:44

Yeah we found that one out after a few months when it stopped sensor drying! We have started cleaning it every week and this week doing it every day (I think DH is worried the floor is going to get even worse). Not sure if it has made too much of a difference but it may have already done the damage anyway?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now