Talk

Advanced search

Conservatory or nothing?

(49 Posts)
slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 21:58:33

I'm really torn
I like the look of it, it's affordable - but will it be unusable most of the year? The sales team have assured me that the triple glazing and insulated roof will make it useable year round with maybe some minimal use of an electric heater - but of course they are going to say that!

We also haven't yet looked at the cost of decent blinds.

Would love some tips, advice, stories of when it has or hasn't worked!

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 22:05:01

Not letting me post pics for some reason - here is the proposed look of conservatory

[IMG]http://i63.tinypic.com/11rywqb.png[/IMG]

Link in case image fails i63.tinypic.com/11rywqb.png

johnd2 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:23:38

If you think of a conservatory as a cheap house extension you'll be disappointed. If you think of it as an expensive garden extension, you'll be delighted.
If you want it to be a good environment for all year then it'll have to meet building regulations. Has insulation is one thing, but has enough insulation is another.
Personally I was delighted the day our grotty conservatory aka the fridge / oven went in a skip.

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 22:34:18

The roof will have standard roof insulation, I believe about 150mm.
No idea about the brick walls, maybe none.

Kennethwasmyfriend Sun 09-Apr-17 22:59:50

Why would it only need minimal use of a heater, it would need at least as much heating as any of your other rooms surely?
It looks nice.

cece Sun 09-Apr-17 23:03:16

I wouldn't buy a house with a conservatory again - it cost us a lot of money to get rid of the one that was attached to our current house.

Semaphorically Sun 09-Apr-17 23:05:06

I hate conservatories, pointless things. Too cold in winter, too hot in summer. And the blinds always look messy. If we ever bought a house with one I would remove it as soon as possible.

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 23:05:49

They say that if you pop the heater on for 15 mins, the insulation and triple glazing keeps it warm all day. Also said the heat from the living room and dining rooms should flow through to keep it warm if the doors are open.

Starting to sound too good to be true isn't it!

BumWad Sun 09-Apr-17 23:07:21

I hate conservatories too.

We are house hunting and just always discount the ones with them in.

Just get an extension.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 09-Apr-17 23:08:25

If it's got a proper roof it would be thermally efficient than a glazed roof conservatory.
If you want to use it all year round, could you extend your central heating to put a proper radiator in ther

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 23:08:33

I would appreciate if those with bad experiences could look at my picture and see if it bears any resemblance. Not sure if the roof and brick sections make a difference?

Summerof85 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:09:56

I posted a couple of weeks ago about conservatories. We moved into a house with one, I wanted an email trail room. However, they are a pain, too hot in the sumber and freezing in the winter and that's with a radiator. My DH has put in a false roof with insulation which has helped. There are too many windows though and we have one brick wall.

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 23:10:20

Can't afford an extension, it's this or nothing, and we are hoping it could function as a dining room.

What other building regs would it have to meet if we put rads in? I have to say I hate all of our radiators, take up valuable space so am a little biased.

HeadDreamer Sun 09-Apr-17 23:18:55

We have radiators and it's still useless. The house main thermostat is in the corridor and it's warmer than the conservatory. So the conservatory isn't heated up when it's too cold to sit in. We have a thermometer in there and in winter it's regularly 11-12C with the thermostat set at 18C. We are saving money to replace it with a real extension.

slithytove Sun 09-Apr-17 23:21:34

Does yoirs have a tiled roof head or a traditional glazed roof?

I'm really trying to talk myself into this, maybe that's enough of a sign to not do it. I want one but I want the right one.

We are currently in the position of deciding whether to save up and move, or to stay put and improve this house. I really don't want to move and I think that will cost more. Such a difficult choice as we do need more space.

Astro55 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:24:53

I loved our conservatory - was lovely to sit in and watch the kids play in the garden!! It was bright and airy had the sun to warm it up on full days and was a light place to sit so you felt as though the days were longer than in a dark house - we can't have one in existing house due to layout but I would again

OhTheRoses Sun 09-Apr-17 23:34:05

Love ours. But it's the garden end of an extension. Glass roof and two sides are glass from about 2.5 feet up. Only on the hottest days is it too hot. Only on the coldest is it too chilly. No blinds. Don't need them. Evening sun is West at an angle. Other angle is North.

MiladyThesaurus Sun 09-Apr-17 23:44:02

Remember that it will make the room it's attached to dark and internal (and a corridor to the conservatory).

Whatever the sakes people say, it will be cold if you don't make it part of the actual house and attach it to the central heating (electric heaters are expensive to run). As others have said, it may still be cold.

Selling up and moving will be very expensive (don't forget to factor in the costs of redecorating everywhere in the house to your taste). Could you remortgage the house to extend it properly and get the space you want? That may well be cheaper than moving. You also need to consider whether you can actually afford the amount and kind of space you want if you do buy somewhere else.

Disclosure: I loathe conservatories and would never even consider viewing a house with one.

Astro55 Sun 09-Apr-17 23:58:28

Also from the picture I think the door is in the wrong place - look at where the furniture would go v the outlook on tot he garden

HonorBright Mon 10-Apr-17 00:13:36

Having once lived with a conservatory I have vowed never to do it again. I'm not quite as militant as milady and won't immediately discount a house with a conservatory but I do mentally calculate the cost of knocking the bloody thing down and subtract it from my maximum offer.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 10-Apr-17 00:19:53

Mine is a cheap extension and its absolutely brilliant. Get a proper roof, and insulate everywhere you can. I don't even have doors between mine and the house, and during the coldest 2 months of the year I do need a heater in there most of the day (not that expensive tbh) and it's fine!

Mine is well insulated though. Good glass, good floor, rug etc.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Mon 10-Apr-17 00:22:59

I wouldn't put it on the system with the other rads, just out an electric heater on the wall. Maybe don't have glass all-round, have one full wall, that'll help it feel more like a room, will be somewhere to put the heater, help with keeping it warm etc.

MiladyThesaurus Mon 10-Apr-17 00:26:45

I am indeed a militant conservatory refuser. grin

leccybill Mon 10-Apr-17 00:30:25

I like the one you've designed. It looks more extension-y than a typical conservatory.
It's small though. How much btw?

bouncydog Mon 10-Apr-17 04:39:15

Ours links our kitchen and dining room. Has underfloor heating and a thermally efficient roof and the walls have cavity insulation. We love it and it is used all year round. Only doors are a wall of bifold to open up the dining room so it's all open plan. From your photo it looks like an extension rather than a conservatory. It will be dark with that roof though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now