Talk

Advanced search

I've mucked up haven't I?

(28 Posts)
LapCatLicker Sun 09-Apr-17 19:58:20

We just had new carpet installed on our stairs and upstairs bedrooms. It's lovely but now it shows off how badly scratched and worn the paint and wallpaper are.The problem is that the skirting boards have dark scratches right down near the base where they meet the new carpet. We should have painted first right? How do we go about re-painting/papering/plastering without ruining our lovely new carpet?

Floggingmolly Sun 09-Apr-17 19:59:15

Just tape some plastic down??

LapCatLicker Sun 09-Apr-17 20:06:29

But how do I get right down to the very base where it meets the carpet without affecting the carpet IYSWIM? I can't see how tape could get down that far. We got quite a plush underlay so it's quite 'bouncy'.

GingerKitCat Sun 09-Apr-17 20:29:01

Never used them but if you google carpet shield or paint guard some options come up with good reviews smile

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 09-Apr-17 20:33:14

You can put frog tape down to stick the plastic. If you put the frog tape with the non-stick side next to the skirting and slide it down as far as it will go before wrinkling and then firmly smooth the sticky bit down to the carpet/plastic join you should find the carpet sort of squashes down and when you let go it will ping up a bit and everything will be covered. You need to keep the tape quite taunt and may find it easier to do a smaller bit to start and then longer pieces on the straights.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 09-Apr-17 20:34:27

I did this in a bedroom with newly fitted carpet and it was fine. I was actually replacing the skirting so I had messy joins to contend with too.

LapCatLicker Sun 09-Apr-17 20:39:47

Have googled that Ginger, all sorts of doo-dads available for protection. Thank you for replies, I'm a bit of a decorating Newby and was feeling quite worried!

LapCatLicker Sun 09-Apr-17 20:40:52

That makes me feel better Moving, thanks.

TheCakes Sun 09-Apr-17 20:43:39

Yes, what Moving says. You can stick the tape between the carpet and skirting board, then sticky side into the edge of the carpet. Be really careful and you should be fine.

PickAChew Sun 09-Apr-17 20:43:42

Shove some stiff card or an envelope full of junk mail (it has its uses) down between the carpet and skirting board as you paint.

Katmeifyoucan Sun 09-Apr-17 20:46:24

You can remove the skirting boards (they are normally tacked on) paint them and stick back up when dry

mineofuselessinformation Sun 09-Apr-17 20:47:07

Wide masking tape. Place it along the carpet with about a cm 'extra' sticking up on to the skirting board. Go along with a scraper, pushing it down (it will automatically go between the carpet and the wood). Paint and leave until dry, then peel off.
I've done this several time and if you're careful to seal up all of the carpet it works well.

LapCatLicker Sun 09-Apr-17 20:56:44

Thanks all, Kat the skirting boards are original 30s and from the looks of them have never been removed. Would you recommend we do that and then paint? They are very scratched and have had multiple coats of gloss over the years.

Katmeifyoucan Sun 09-Apr-17 20:57:43

Could you take them off and buy new ones? They shouldn't cost much

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sun 09-Apr-17 21:03:07

If the skirting boards are sound leave them alone. Cutting mitred corners is a bitch.

I have learnt this the hard way.

TheBakeryQueen Sun 09-Apr-17 21:03:12

Easier to paint than remove, it's unlikely they'll be stuck on with adhesive if they're 30s, they'll be nailed or screwed on and you could end up pulling away plaster with them. Just cover the carpet as best as you can, lightly sand, prime then paint.

TheCakes Sun 09-Apr-17 21:07:07

I'd leave them on.

PigletJohn Sun 09-Apr-17 22:02:21

If 1930's, they are pretty sure to be nailed to the wall with huge iron cut nails going into wooden blocks wedges between the bricks.

Taking them off will leave large holes and splits in the skirtings, and also damage the plaster.

You will find it very difficult to get new boards of the same style and quality.

SilverHawk Sun 09-Apr-17 22:15:49

For goodness sake, don't even think of removing the skirting boards.
Yours may be the original 8" type of that era. Whatever they are, you will never match.
You haven't 'mucked up' PPs have given very good advice.
It only makes it harder to paint if there is quadrant along the skirting.

johnd2 Sun 09-Apr-17 22:30:12

To be honest some of ours are original 20s fixed with nails, only the previous owner replaced some of them with overly fancy inappropriate ones. When I pulled the original ones off I found they were basically floor boards painted white. Square corner and everything.. You can get reasonably priced primed and painted MDF from your favourite diy store and just no more nails it to the wall, that's what I did.

I'd second the comment about mitreing though, I found a mitre saw was an excellent purchase.

Indaba Mon 10-Apr-17 11:40:42

Re skirtings: I wouldn't remove them as generally "original is best", and once you take them off you can open a whole can of worms and it spiral into a big job where you need to replaster.

MiaowTheCat Mon 10-Apr-17 11:56:01

I can vouch for how bloody well attached the 1920/30s ones are! We just had to have some of ours taken off (needed a whole wall taking back to brick to fix damp issues) and bloody hell they took chunks out of the plaster into the brickwork when they came off! Then had ten minutes of our builders trying to work out how to get this huge length of skirting out of the room - before DH pointed out that they currently had a window removed so a giant hole in the wall to just post the bugger out of!

Starlighter Mon 10-Apr-17 11:58:23

We painted our skirting boards first but the carpet fitters left a load of dents and scratches on them! So we had to reprint anyway!

Starlighter Mon 10-Apr-17 11:58:35

*repaint

trixymalixy Mon 10-Apr-17 12:04:06

We did exactly the same OP. The underlay from the old carpets was thicker than that of the new carpets, so there's a line where the paint stops. I'm trying to work the courage up to repaint them without wrecking the carpets.

Don;t take off the skirting boards, that'll be a total nightmare and there''l be all sorts of dirt etc behind them that i bound to wreck the carpets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now