Talk

Advanced search

Help me help my chimney breasts!

(15 Posts)
y0rkier0se Sun 09-Apr-17 19:39:23

We are moving house. When you're downstairs, you turn left into the living room, then left again takes you into the dining room. Both the dining room and living room have a chimney breast, that is currently wallpapered. The other walls are cream. I'm not too concerned about the dining room as we're hoping to knock the chimney breast out anyway, however i'm stumped with the living room. We have a heather balmoral pattern on our lamp shade and sofa cushions (pic attached), so would like to match the chimney breast up. What colour would you go for? The only thing i've found so far (and i've been searching hours) is Dulux Sumptuous Plum but concerned it might be too much of a contrast seen as the other three walls are cream?

SwedishEdith Sun 09-Apr-17 19:46:49

Could pick out the purple like this?

www.farrow-ball.com/pelt/paint-colours/farrow-ball/fcp-product/100254

y0rkier0se Sun 09-Apr-17 19:55:19

I thought about that but a bit concerned that's even more dark? sad

Blankscreen Sun 09-Apr-17 19:58:37

I would paint the whole room one colour.

Chimney breasts in contrasting colours look horrendous imo.

Mysterycat23 Sun 09-Apr-17 20:01:29

It would be expensive but I bet there are fancy wallpapers available in that same pattern to match. Would look pretty awesome!

HeyMacWey Sun 09-Apr-17 20:02:29

Go and get your lampshade colour matched with Valspar paint at b&q.

I'd go for the pinky colour rather than the plum.

y0rkier0se Sun 09-Apr-17 20:08:11

We thought about just painting the chimney breast cream but I don't want it to feel like there's nothing to it. We had originally chosen a cream and gold Laura Ashley wallpaper but i've second guessed myself and now i'm back to square one. Mysterycat i've nosied on the internet but can't seem to find any suitable! Didn't know they did that, thanks Hey will look into it!

y0rkier0se Sun 09-Apr-17 20:09:50

Hey, it is the pinky colour i'm trying to pick out it's just that Dulux call it sumptuous plum. This is the colour i'd seen www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/sumptuous-plum

PigletJohn Sun 09-Apr-17 20:51:33

just paint it to match

SwedishEdith Sun 09-Apr-17 20:51:47

I think that's quite garish. If I was going to paint the chimney breast a different color, I'd go for the dark grey/green at the top of the shade.

y0rkier0se Sun 09-Apr-17 21:18:10

Pigletjohn grin

minipie Mon 10-Apr-17 08:43:58

Hmm I think I'd paint the chimney breast cream same as the other walls. Or perhaps I'd paint the whole room a paler version of the browny/stone colour that is the background of the lampshade.

Miniwookie Mon 10-Apr-17 12:22:06

If I was going to paint anything a different colour I'd paint the alcoves darker rather than the chimney breast. I prefer all the walls the same though.

Miniwookie Mon 10-Apr-17 12:23:47

Like this

y0rkier0se Mon 10-Apr-17 16:57:28

Hmmm I'll ponder that mini thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now