Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions - stable doors

(5 Posts)
MooMooKerchu Sat 08-Apr-17 20:47:47

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

We would like a stable door for the back of our house.

I don't like uPVC so that's out.

Composite doors are all but impossible to source given the requirement to have it outward opening, a large glazed window at the top and a wider than normal (apparently) opening [I've had three different tradespeople/companies look at this for me].

So I looked to a timber door but it's proving difficult. I have had one quote so far of £3000. I wanted a number of quotes and two other companies just haven't bothered getting back to me. Either that or I visit a website but the information on there is limited as to whether or not they even do stable doors or what security they install into the door.

Just feeling so disappointed - who knew it was so hard?!

I'm not too sure how to go about finding a joiner (I guess) to at least quote me. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I could go to search? I don't even mean specific companies, just..... what to look for/where to start the search.

Or have you had a timber door installed - what questions should I ask re security, not warping, regular treatment. Or is a timber door just not worth the hassle.

I don't live in a period property or anything like that and I'm in the South East.

Any advice gratefully received!!!

PigletJohn Sat 08-Apr-17 22:21:00

there are probably a few small joinery companies somewhere near you. There's one a couple of miles from me, they make all sorts, from matching doors and windows for house restoration, to signboards.

I don't know how common this is, but one of the local colleges has joinery courses, where they learn all the skills, and there don't seem to be enough jobs for them. Two couldn't make a living and went into windowcleaning; before their business took off they did some work for me I was pleased with. One of them had previously worked in a motorhome company. I also had another joiner make and fit an LBF door for me, I think it took him about a day. I believe his regular job is for a builder, hanging doors and fixing skirtings.

They like the chance to do proper skilled joinery.

Personal recommendation is certainly best. Ask someone who works to a high standard in their own trade, they tend not to hang around with bodgers. Keep an eye out for tradesmen's vans and ask for a card. Write on the back the address they are working at. Go back a few weeks later and ask the householder's opinion.

JaneEyre70 Sat 08-Apr-17 22:27:31

We've got a hardwood stable door on our kitchen - we paid around £1500 for it but that was probably 15 years ago to be fair. We found a local glazing man who offered uPVC and timber....he made and fitted it. It is brilliant, we have a glass side panel and clear glass top and bottom so it lets tonnes of light into the room. But the only drawback is that our lock often plays up if it has been excessively wet due to expansion and you have to religiously use oil/woodseal on it to keep it looking tidy. We are looking at replacing with composite for that reason only. Timber doors aren't for the lax houseowner.
We have just had all of our windows replaced and found a local glazer from a FB post on a local noticeboard. About 15 people recommended the same chap and sent photos of theirs.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Apr-17 22:28:39

p.s.

A timber door will last best if it is protected by the weather by at least an open porch, failing that, a canopy. You will want a BS mortice lock in each half, suited to the same key for convenience, and I would say two bolts on each half, preferably rackbolts.

If the doors open out, you will need hinge bolts or security hinges that lock together. Stainless or PVD brass will stand up to rain without going rusty.

I am tending towards oiled hardwood for outdoor timber now, rather than stain, but it will be expensive.

MooMooKerchu Mon 10-Apr-17 21:57:33

Thanks, some good suggestions there.

Only problem being is that it is almost south facing house with no porch/canopy over the top of it........

I'm also not sure about the regular maintenance of it but I would be willing to pay someone to come and look at it each year, cost dependant.

Ultimately though, it's looking more and more likely that, depending on the above, I'm probably not going to get the door I'm looking for for a number of different reasons. So frustrating.

Will definitely at least get some opinions from local joinery companies. They'll be able to advise one way or the other

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now