Talk

Advanced search

Old internal door 1930's

(7 Posts)
Brighteyes27 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:37:16

We have kept the original doors in our 1930's property and I love these. The previous owners did all the hard work and had them stripped etc.
Looking to do some spring cleaning refreshing our home and wonder what product is best to put on them? We don't want to change the colour of the word it's more of a protector help them look a bit smarter particularly the bathroom door which has got toothpaste or goodness knows what on it. Ideally something foolproof and easy to use apply.
Thanks

wowfudge Sat 08-Apr-17 09:40:06

Hard wax oil or Danish oil? It will darken them a bit. I prefer them painted as they weren't designed to be bare.

JW13 Sat 08-Apr-17 09:44:38

We have a similar situation with our Victorian doors and we've used Osmo Polyx oil in Matt finish. Might make them slightly darker but we couldn't find anything else to fit the bill.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:38:12

We have used a matt varnish (not sure whether I'll be slated for that!!) but it hasn't changed the colour of the doors and when its dry the doors look exactly the same as they did before.

Brighteyes27 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:46:17

Name changed today 15 was the Matt varnish easy to apply and did you apply it with a brush?
To be fair that sounds like the look I am after.

namechangedtoday15 Sat 08-Apr-17 10:50:17

Yes (although H did it wink). Just applied with a brush, we asked for advice from our local timber merchant and bought the varnish from there.

Brighteyes27 Sat 08-Apr-17 16:51:33

Thanks sounds just the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now