Talk

Advanced search

Buying a new build

(8 Posts)
AuntGiddy Fri 07-Apr-17 17:10:29

I'm buying a new build (just in case you didn't realise that from the thread title grin ) and am wondering, do I need a basic home buyers report or one of those that checks out in more detail. I don't want to stretch to a full structural as it is new and should be covered by the NHBC guarantee or whatever it's called these days.

Anyone out there bought a new build recently? How did it go?

Justanothernameonthepage Fri 07-Apr-17 18:10:32

What company are you buying from?

FinallyDebtFree Fri 07-Apr-17 18:23:12

We have just literally exchanged contracts on a new build. All we had was a basic valuation which cost £355 from Halifax.

We've bought from Barratts and so far so good

Toomanycats99 Fri 07-Apr-17 18:28:05

I know someone who bought a new build 18 months ago. Tons of issues ever since. What would have been identified on a survey and what have only become clear as it's lived in I'm not sure.

CountMagnus Fri 07-Apr-17 19:10:28

You can could consider getting a snagging survey done, which should identify any issues - see here.

FinallyDebtFree Fri 07-Apr-17 19:18:58

The survey I had done was the one Halifax wanted...before I move in I'll be getting a snagging survey done.

I'm in no rush to move in I'm overseas and won't be back until Christmas time

Randomflubber Mon 10-Apr-17 23:15:59

Be very cautious. My dm bought new and had no end of issues. They got a full structural & it listed all sorts they wouldn't have known of. Even good name house-builders are not beyond specing one thing and installing another. Door architraves/fencing/skirting boards/taps/postion & number of lights etc etc. She had a bugger of a job getting it all sorted, in the end they just had to take the hit, the stress was too much.

ZeldaWasMyGransName Tue 11-Apr-17 07:24:20

Also watch out for the (hopefully now well known) leasehold issues if it's a house.

If it's freehold ignore me, if it's leasehold www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/29/new-builds-house-buyers-leasehold-property-trap

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now