Talk

Advanced search

Starting planning extensions before completion - madness or sensible?

(16 Posts)
HowToOffer Fri 07-Apr-17 07:06:12

I'm in the early stages of buying a house which I intend to extend ASAP. Completion is aimed for July.

Would I be mad to employ an architect, get plans drawn up and get it approved as a permitted development before completion to minimise delays?

I will also need to issue a party wall notice, which I guess I can't do until I'm actually the owner so I know this could potentially delay things, but I am hoping neighbours will not have an issue since what I'm intending they've already done.

johnd2 Fri 07-Apr-17 08:33:10

Don't think about whether it's mad, just think about whether you're spending your money widely. Ie depends on how much all that costs, how much the delay of waiting longer would cost, and whether you're worried about making your negotiating position worse by committing to the house more strongly. If starting sooner is important enough to you, there's no reason you can't do it now.

johnd2 Fri 07-Apr-17 08:33:39

I mean wisely, not sure you want to spend money widely!

specialsubject Fri 07-Apr-17 09:28:27

Do nothing until exchange , which makes transaction definite.

trixymalixy Fri 07-Apr-17 09:34:58

I wouldn't for two reasons.

Firstly because the sale might fall through.

Secondly because I wouldn't recommend planning extension until you have lived in the house for a bit.

We have just moved in to our new house and plan to extend asap. However having been here a couple of months our initial thoughts have changed. E.g. If we had built extension where we originally thought there would be no room to turn cars in front of the garage. Also we've changed our mind about needing two storeys.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 07-Apr-17 09:37:35

Agreed with previous posters - yes it's fab to plan ahead - but maybe not this far ahead !!! I'd wait until I had the keys ! As you'd want to be there to measure or let surveyors in to measure etc ... the current one my find this all a bit invasive before they've even gone !

katronfon Fri 07-Apr-17 10:06:53

We did something similar, but not the formalities. We knew the house would only work for us with some major alterations, so we needed to be sure they were feasible and affordable.
We didn't get an architect in or apply for planning permission, but we did an accurate floor plan and drew our own plans of all the potential options, and got the builder to look at them with us for feasibility and to give us a cost.
We'd looked at so many options by the time we completed that we knew what we were doing and were able to unpack/not unpack accordingly and start work almost immediately.
Otherwise we'd have moved in, unpacked, done the planning, waited for the builder to be available, packed up again etc. It worked well for us.

HowToOffer Fri 07-Apr-17 10:34:34

Ah, all good points.

I would like to avoid having to pack up and move furniture around twice.

Is it terribly intrusive to view it again to take some measurements? It would only be in two rooms and be pretty quick.

specialsubject Fri 07-Apr-17 10:36:30

Not at all - it is only the biggest purchase you ever make!

To repeat - spend nothing until exchange. Hope all goes well.

dynevoran Fri 07-Apr-17 10:46:01

We did! We had offer accepted march 2016, instructed architects April 2016, applied for planning permission June 2016, exchanged and completed late July 2016, got planning permission September 2016, already had builders lined up due to the previous steps so they started immediately (party wall was done early September) and build finished Jan 2017 and we moved straight in. I don't think we would be in now if we hadn't started that early.

We felt sure things would work out but we're prepared to lose the money invested in architects and planning if it fell through.

dynevoran Fri 07-Apr-17 10:48:09

Our vendors had already refused to let another buyer gazump us and were divorced and moving apart so it felt pretty certain that it would be okay. Risky but paid off.

HowToOffer Fri 07-Apr-17 11:06:49

dyn how did it go, doing the build over

HowToOffer Fri 07-Apr-17 11:08:06

Sorry - child pressed post.

... doing the build over winter? That is one of my worries - that I have a 'slot' and if I miss it I'll have to wait til next summer.

dynevoran Fri 07-Apr-17 11:52:50

We moved in as soon as it was done so weren't living there during. So in that respect the build was fine...and we didn't seem to experience any real hold ups in what could be done due to weather and finished on schedule. I remember one week they couldn't do the roof due to weather so they did something else and did the roof the following week. There were enough things to keep them busy and give flexibility to shuffle things around.

HowToOffer Fri 07-Apr-17 12:06:21

Thanks smile

johnd2 Fri 07-Apr-17 13:54:50

Builders work all year round unless it's doing cement works in freezing or rain in which case they just wait a day or two. We did ours, started October and finished Feb, it wasn't great to be honest with all the holes all over the house. But might be easier to find someone to start at that time of year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now