Talk

Advanced search

PigletJohn - a further question for you...

(5 Posts)
RubyRedRuby Thu 06-Apr-17 15:56:04

You answered a question about water softeners for me, I wondered if you could answer another one. We are having our house re-plumbed. What would be a reasonable charge for having a water softener installed (on top of what we are paying)? Our builder has given a price - plumber is already working in the house (price is not for the actual softener, we are supplying that ourselves) - but I'm unsure how much work is involved, figure seems a bit high to me.

Crumbelina Thu 06-Apr-17 19:45:54

I'm not Piglet John smile but I'd guess that it shouldn't be too much. It's probably about as difficult as plumbing in a washing machine. Maybe £150?

If you're in London then obviously double that figure. wink

Crumbelina Thu 06-Apr-17 19:50:35

Oh, just realised it's not a specific call out, sorry. Maybe £100 or less. Then again, the builder may add a mark up. And trade prices never fail to surprise me. smile

PigletJohn Thu 06-Apr-17 20:17:52

Yes, it is almost exactly the same amount of work as fitting a washing machine for the first time. It needs a drain, and two connections to the incoming water pipe.

RubyRedRuby Thu 06-Apr-17 20:21:49

Hmmm. So £300 + VAT is a bit of a p*ss take then....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now