Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much to replace kitchen and bathroom- labour only?

(15 Posts)
Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 15:46:19

I put this n AIBU then realised here would be better.

Just fallen off my perch at a quote of £8k! I am in the SE but still; all we want is

- remove existing units, build (flat pack) and install 10 base cabinets and 10 wall cabinets plus 2 integrated appliances
- Remove but not replace and floor tiles in kitchen
- No worktops to fit as these will be done separately
- Replace existing shower cubicle, tiles, toilet and basin
- bit of electrical work to intstall cooker, move a couple of sockets, replace lights etc

This is labour only, we'll be supplying all materials.

Is this bonkers or am I massively underestimating how much this should cost?

Also how long would you think it would take?

Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 15:59:13

The ceilings in the bathroom and kitchen also need replastering, as will the bits of walls where the tiles were in the kitchen.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 06-Apr-17 16:00:49

We are paying 10k labour for new kitchen.

Finola1step Thu 06-Apr-17 16:03:44

We paid over 4k for labour for complete rehaul of bathroom. So your £8k sounds reasonable to me. Also in SE, in v nice town - which makes a huge difference to prices IME.

Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 16:18:05

Oh dear!😩

Secretariat Thu 06-Apr-17 16:25:55

Depends on the size of your kitchen. I've just put a cost model together for a 11m2 (ceiling area ) kitchen.

Works include:-
Strip out
Building Works
Kitchen install (in your case labour only)
Pipe work
General items such as gas / electrical safety tests
Electrical works

I priced all of that at £2,345. That doesn't include the supply of the kitchen

Secretariat Thu 06-Apr-17 16:30:08

Oh and to strip out and install new bathroom about 2.5k and if you want a wetroom between 3-4k

Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 16:50:28

We're also in a 'desirable' town finola, I think you're right, it does seem to add to the cost unfortunately.

Lilmisskittykat Thu 06-Apr-17 17:58:44

Can you do elemts of it yourself to save on costs .. remove the kitchen / tiled ready etc ?

That can often save a bit

Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 18:52:59

TBH, trying to do anything ourselves would be a nightmare.

If it were any other room than the kitchen I'd consider it but I couldn't be doing with the upheaval of it being out of commission for longer than necessary.

It's looking like I'll need to suck it up!

PuntCuffin Thu 06-Apr-17 18:57:50

About to pay best part of £15k for 3 bathrooms to be fitted. Also in SE.

Kitchenquotes Thu 06-Apr-17 19:02:50

Jeezo, it really is a licence to print money down here isn't it?

To be fair, none of the other builders have even bothered to reply with a quote so they clearly don't need the work!

These people have been highly recommended by friends and I've seen their work first hand so I guess that's worth quite a bit too.

PuntCuffin Thu 06-Apr-17 21:57:05

Forgot to say that our fitter has allowed a minimum 2 weeks per room. But, this is also part of an extensive renovation and includes doing the pipework as well.

Miniwookie Thu 06-Apr-17 22:40:04

From reading MN I've realised that SE prices are just bonkers and nothing like what we pay here (Wales) so no point me commenting except to say could you reduce the price by doing the demo yourself?

Finola1step Fri 07-Apr-17 14:44:48

Ah yes the builders/fitters etc in the SE that won't even come out and quote. We have had experience of this. Had no idea how hard it is to get a quote and a lead time let alone a reasonable quote. West Kent per chance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now