Talk

Advanced search

What current "looks" are going to date badly?

(293 Posts)
minipie Wed 05-Apr-17 13:03:50

I'm starting a house refurb next year and collecting various ideas for decor.

I'm conscious that I tend to be quite influenced by what's around at the moment... 5 years ago I probably would have chosen a house all in white and shades of grey, and a painted in frame kitchen, now I'm liking darker colours and handleless kitchens... I think I may be a recipe for a house that dates quite badly grin.

Please help me avoid that. What do you think is currently ubiquitous/on trend but will look all wrong in a few years' time?

Conversely what's going to stand the test of time?

It's for a Victorian house in London if that matters...

HmmOkay Wed 05-Apr-17 13:16:00

- Grey

- Subway tiles

- Spotlights ruining the look of every ceiling up and down the land

- That crappy hygge look with blankets draped over every sofa (it's not 1850 love, we have central heating)

FrancisCrawford Wed 05-Apr-17 13:19:20

Laminate floors
Grey everywhere
Huge sofas that swamp the room
Those metro tiles that remind me of public lavatories

HeyCat Wed 05-Apr-17 13:23:40

Chevrons.

Owls, foxes and any other wildlife.

Grey.

Teal.

Subway tiling.

NotCitrus Wed 05-Apr-17 13:25:03

Beige bathrooms.

Tatlerer Wed 05-Apr-17 13:25:07

Minipie I'm a dreadful person to ask- our refurb starts in a fortnight and grey paint, a painted in frame kitchen and metro tiles all feature grin

RicketyCricket Wed 05-Apr-17 13:26:59

Grey everything

Dark blue/green walls

Ugly ass animal heads/skulls on said dark blue/green walls

Those horrible plastic looking kitchens that seem to be on trend.

Soon2bC Wed 05-Apr-17 13:31:15

I love subway tiles and have for many many years before they were fashionable, I also love grey!! my house may date badly when its finished grin
foxes, stags, owls not in my house but will go out soon i predict
distressed wood and/fabrics and chalk paint!

HomeFree55 Wed 05-Apr-17 13:48:35

Anything covered in glitter

minipie Wed 05-Apr-17 15:17:41

Haha some pretty consistent responses!

Right, any ideas as to what won't date then??

What about herringbone floors - are they doomed along with chevrons?

Wall colours I'm not too fussed about as they can be changed. But what colour kitchen?? And what bathroom tiles if not grey or beige?

Kiroro Wed 05-Apr-17 15:26:01

Right, any ideas as to what won't date then??
Things will always date!

Personally I don't think you can go wrong if you go neutral/classic for 'big ticket' items and then you can jazz up rooms/update them with paint and furnishings.

Anyway, metro tiles have been in fashion for AGES and are still going strong. Same as white glossy kitchens - that has been 'in' for over 10 years!

Boppity Wed 05-Apr-17 15:29:14

Don't know if it will date badly but I think navy is the next 'kitchen' colour for cabinets etc

minipie Wed 05-Apr-17 15:33:50

Oh I know they will to some extent Kiroko. I don't mind a bit of dating over time... I guess I just don't want to look back at my kitchen in 5 years' time and think "what was I thinking". I suppose neutral and classic avoids that but then you do end up with a very safe look... tricky.

LorraLorraLlama Wed 05-Apr-17 15:34:27

Eveything dates with posdibly the exception of sympathetically refurbing something back to its time. Ie: a victorian terrace decorated clasdicly, fireplaces restored, ceiling roses resyored, floor tiles scrubbed up etc.
Any other look will date.

minipie Wed 05-Apr-17 15:34:32

Yeah, I like the navy kitchen (or at least, kitchen island) look Boppity. Probably a sure sign it will go out soon grin

wowfudge Wed 05-Apr-17 15:36:47

I agree. It's things like encaustic, patchwork or hexagonal type tiles on walls or metro tiles laid in herringbone pattern which stand out will therefore look dated as fashions change. I think all things copper will look very mid this decade in 5 years' time.

We have herringbone parquet floor - it's Edwardian but looks fabulous because it's classic.

You can see with kitchens on Pinterest and Houzz that more white paired with dark blue is coming in instead of grey units.

But if you really like it then go for whatever it is. When you come to sell you can then decide whether it's in good enough condition to leave it as it is or whether it's worth spending money to update to have the broadest appeal.

TreeTop7 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:37:44

I'm thinking that feature walls will be a thing of the past soon.

What do i know though!? I didn't know what metro tiles were!!

dilapidated Wed 05-Apr-17 15:42:04

Copper

Concrete

Industrial style

dilapidated Wed 05-Apr-17 15:42:41

Gloss kitchens if they weren't out already

dilapidated Wed 05-Apr-17 15:43:08

Glass staircase balustrade

dilapidated Wed 05-Apr-17 15:44:19

We were just about to install a Matt dark blue kitchen, but had a last minute change of heart when we realised that we live the look of it when we've seen it in a magazine but it's a passing fad and future buyers will probably be put off

Pallisers Wed 05-Apr-17 15:44:27

We just redid our house including the kitchen.

I think you have to accept that things will date. I love my kitchen but I know someday someone will be ripping it out saying "I can't believe someone chose this" smile

I wouldn't stress too much about paint colour - pick what you like, that is easy to change. We have some dark colours, a soft yellow in the main areas, and grey in the kitchen. The grey is a great colour and if I was picking one colour for the whole house, I would have gone with that - it is a decent neutral and I don't care if it is out of fashion.

I knew what I wanted for floors - dark wood which is a personal choice, nothing to do with fashion.

I think feature walls have already gone.

That very modern, plastic-looking, sleek kitchen is very in but I suspect will definitely date.

LaundryQueenHatesBunfights Wed 05-Apr-17 15:46:40

I agree with Lorra, sticking to classic with the time period of your house, you can't go wrong.

I love metro tiles! I think they will look good for a while longer

EssentialHummus Wed 05-Apr-17 15:47:11

I'm really curious about metro tiles as I just can't ser them dating, but it's inevitable isn't it?

Farrow and Ball gets my vote.

minipie Wed 05-Apr-17 15:51:40

wowfudge oh dear, I like encaustic tiles! Though, I had them in mind for the hallway as we have a Victorian house and it would have had encaustic tiles originally - thought this would be a sort of modern version. So maybe that falls under classic...

For me the concern about things dating is not really about selling, so much as falling out of love with it myself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now