Talk

Advanced search

Vendor is doing their own conveyancing. Has anyone had experience of this?

(14 Posts)
Bluebell9 Wed 05-Apr-17 11:34:50

Did it cause any issues?
My vendor is doing this and I'm already having to find out from my solicitor what they need and getting the vendor to supply it. I assumed when they said they were doing it themselves, they knew what to do but now I don't think they do!

MrsPacMan Wed 05-Apr-17 11:40:18

It will probably be very slow, but fine until there is a title query at which point they'll have no clue.

Generally the risk is lower to the vendor than the purchaser, but if they have no clue at all it'll probably take an age.

Would love if you kept us updated!

TheClacksAreDown Wed 05-Apr-17 11:44:13

I would speak to the estate agent assuming there is one and get them to have a word

PossumInAPearTree Wed 05-Apr-17 11:45:44

It's quite easy. The land registry have a form and they have a YouTube video on how to fill the form in. The only thing I would be nevrvous about is the timing of transfer of funds at the same point as transfer of deeds to your name. I've done it but it was all within the family so I didn't have the headache of that side of things.

brightnearly Wed 05-Apr-17 12:17:27

Depends whether everything is straightforward or not. Vendors have an obligation to respond to inquries - if something crops up later that wasn't disclosed upon request, there will be liability.

Andrewofgg Wed 05-Apr-17 12:55:14

Do not let him hold a deposit! And be prepared for it to be slow and troublesome.

Bluebell9 Tue 11-Apr-17 12:58:24

There is no estate agent either so I can only talk direct to the vendor.

My solicitor told me they hadn't been in touch with the necessary paperwork so I emailed the vendors and asked them to send it to my solicitor. They then replied directly to me with lots of legal stuff. I pointed out to them that they need to communicate directly with my solicitor rather than through me.

I think I'm going to need lots of wine to get through this. I'm letting my solicitor handle as much as possible!

Blankscreen Tue 11-Apr-17 20:36:17

This is very tricky. Its not just filling in a form.

Your solicitor will need to provide details to the land registry to verify his id. Is your solicitor really going to want to do that???

Also there are lots of implied undertakings between professionals on exchange and completion, that is how the system works. If he is.unqualified those undertakings won't work.

Finally there is a lot of property fraud around. People selling property they don't own.

Why is he acting for himself? Did he get asked too many awkward questions?

This has serious consequences
My firm would refuse to act on the transaction. Get him to instruct a solicitor even if you end up paying the Bill!

HmmOkay Tue 11-Apr-17 21:00:44

I don't want to worry you either, OP. But I am cautious about handing over lots of money to a stranger.

Thoughts that I would have:

- Is he even the owner of the house? Can you check on the Land Registry? Is he the sole owner on there? Presumably there are no charges on the property?
- Is there a mortgage on the property?
- Is the house currently vacant?
- Are there tenants in there?
- Is it a probate property?
- Is he divorcing his wife or something? And trying to keep her in the dark?
- Can you check the electoral roll to see who lives there currently?
- Are there any rights of way/shared access over the land?
- Can you check the deeds against the boundaries that are physically on the ground? Do the fences/hedges match up approximately (won't be exact of course) to what is on the deeds?
- Is it freehold or leasehold?

If I were you, I would nip round and speak to the neighbours in a "Just introducing myself - we are buying the house from Bob" and see what the neighbours have to say. Not a bad idea to do that in any event - even without Bob doing his own conveyancing.

Penfold007 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:01:52

Every time you seek guidance from your solicitor for them, you get billed. Your vendors need formal legal guidance.

43percentburnt Tue 11-Apr-17 21:08:46

Do you know the seller? Any particular reason they don't want a solicitor?

Are you buying with a mortgage? Does your lender know the seller hasn't got a conveyancer? You may find it's an issue.

OVienna Wed 12-Apr-17 11:08:53

Selling himself and doing his own conveyancing? Red flag for me x loads. You will incur costs just investigating whether he's entitled to sell. I'd walk away unless he appointed someone.

Bluebell9 Wed 12-Apr-17 11:44:43

I know he owns the property as a family member of mine lives next door and I've checked on land registry. I've known them to say hello to for years. I also know the family they have in the area. I've spoken to both the husband and wife face to face so they are both fully aware of what is happening. They are the current residents and are moving into rented accommodation until their new place is built.
I've told them that they need to communicate directly with my solicitor so I'm not asking my solicitor questions on their behalf.

I approached them to buy the house as I had heard they were moving, hence why there is no estate agent. They want to save on the costs of a solicitor I think.

OVienna Wed 12-Apr-17 14:45:50

Okay that does put a different steer on things. I think it might just take longer in that case but I can forsee other issues along the way - maybe your solicitor could help explaining why it will be easier for him and less risky to just engage someone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now