Talk

Advanced search

To en-suite or not en-suite?

(12 Posts)
MiaowTheCat Tue 04-Apr-17 07:38:27

Background to it - 2 bed house, two kids who share the master bedroom, one bathroom in the whole house (and a husband who takes about 5 hours to have a shit). If we came to sell we'd swap the bedrooms back around and stage the master room as a proper double bedroom obviously but for every day living it works better that way.

Big bedroom is the most bloody stupidly shaped room going. It's got alcoves everywhere for the chimney breast running through it, and it's also got a bit coming out over where the stairs and front door would be that is a big enough alcove to get a big wardrobe in and still have about 1m+ on the actual recess. It's quite a huge dead space that's only being used at the moment (since we got rid of the wardrobe) for a hide and seek corner.

I'm wondering about if it's viable to turn it into an en-suite meaning that when I've got two teenage daughters in that room - I have a cat in hell's chance of seeing the bathroom once in a while. It must be a good 1.5m wide, and about 2m deep in the alcove with obviously the option to come out into the room slightly as well - lots of the houses in the street have had it done judging by the lines of shower gel bottles on their little windows.

Wouldn't be doing it for value on the house really - more for ease of living - but would you go ahead and possibly lose a tiny bit of the main bedroom?

LapinR0se Tue 04-Apr-17 07:40:58

Yes I would

FrenchLavender Tue 04-Apr-17 07:43:36

Is it possible to add a small single street extension downstairs with a loo and a shower in it? The house sounds quite small so I'd be reluctant to take away any bedroom/ wardrobe space if there was a viable alternative.

Tobuyornot99 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:38:25

Perfectly do-able, I've seen some teeny tiny en-suites. How old are dc though? I'd probably be wary of doing this until they are of an age where they know not to mess about with water, you don't want a flood on your hands.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:27:50

Yes, I would.

minipie Tue 04-Apr-17 11:29:13

Yes I would. As long as there is still enough space for wardrobes, bed, chest. But agree you may want a high up lock on the en suite door

Bubblysqueak Tue 04-Apr-17 11:30:57

Yes definitely. It will be useful for you and a good selling point too, win win!

MusicToMyEars800 Tue 04-Apr-17 11:33:59

I would love to have an en suite, so I would grin

JustPoppingBy Tue 04-Apr-17 11:51:16

Yes I would (and did, don't know how we managed before 😬)

Miniwookie Tue 04-Apr-17 12:26:15

Definitely!

Kiroro Tue 04-Apr-17 12:32:24

I'm not convinced a bed house needs 2 bathrooms but it sounds like it would suit your family and you have the space to do it

Can you ask to see some of the neighbours so you cna get an idea of size/layout before you go ahead? Might see some clever space ideas.

yomellamoHelly Tue 04-Apr-17 12:37:33

Sounds like it'd make your life better, so I would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now