Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me about Witham, Essex please? Need URGENT Advice please!

(8 Posts)
user1491257583 Mon 03-Apr-17 23:23:07

Hi, my husband and I are looking to move out of London and Witham seemed to be an affordable option for an easy commute to our jobs. After weeks of searching we found a house we love and had our offer accepted last week. It is on 'the courts' which doesn't mean much to us as we are not from the area but picked this primarily because its in the cachment area of the two outstanding schools.

It has now come to our attention that actually the courts might not be the nicest area. How bad could it really be? We are originally from Tower Hamlets so can handle a bit of 'rough' however, the reason we are moving out of London is because we want a nicer environment for our little girl. We are appointing solicitors this week to handle the purchase so need urgent input before we go ahead. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

SherlocksDeerstalker Mon 03-Apr-17 23:31:16

Welcome to Essex! I live not far from Witham, although I don't know the estate you are buying on. Essex generally is a great place to live - very lively and lots to do particularly if you are outdoorsy and like to get out and about with your DD. Sorry I can't be of help with your house, but I wanted to say good luck with your move. smile

ShowMeWhatYouGot Tue 04-Apr-17 12:21:58

It's not one of the nicest parts of Essex, but the price reflects that.

As long as you do your homework I'm sure you could find something lovely there.

Also there's a lot of great places you can visit within half hours journey x

toomuchtvandsocialmedia Tue 04-Apr-17 12:33:06

If you are interested in checking out the local schools

www.essexlive.news/essex-real-schools-guide-2017-every-primary-school-in-essex-ranked/story-30059319-detail/story.html

user1485703455 Tue 04-Apr-17 13:19:10

I'm from Essex and know a bit about Witham, it's pretty safe, I think the area you mention is off Honeysuckle Road? I had a friend who bought her first house there, she lived on her own and thought it was friendly there. The schools are clearly very good. I think that area of Essex does have a bit of a persistent issue with drugs, though that's probably true of most areas.

MacTweedy Tue 04-Apr-17 13:28:05

Also from nearby but not actually in Witham. Not sure about the area you mention but Witham doesn't have the best reputation overall, although there are some nicer areas. Sounds like the schools are good though and there are great transport links. Feel free to PM if you want any more info about surrounding areas etc.

MiniCooperLover Tue 04-Apr-17 14:07:59

Do you have children? A friend has mentioned to me they'll be moving out of Witham when their children are secondary age as the secondary is very bad.

notdoingmuch Tue 04-Apr-17 14:19:34

I have lived in Witham for many years. Not lived on the Courts but my understanding is it's a bit rough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now