Talk

Advanced search

Do I need planning for this climbing frame?

(12 Posts)
Larryduff Mon 03-Apr-17 12:35:53

Do I need planning for a metal climbing frame with a high platform like this one? Tesco link

I have neighbours on all sides and my 8yo will be able to see into gardens from the platform and I know we can't have one of the big wooden tower type frames as it's classed as a temporary structure and can't have a platform over 30cm high. What's not clear is whether the rules apply to these light weight metal frames.

HiDBandSIL Mon 03-Apr-17 18:01:30

I don't know the answer, but I've just been looking into this myself for a climbing frame I have just bought on eBay! This is what I think based on what I've read:

If it is classed as a temporary structure, you don't need planning permission at all. A "temporary structure" is one that is not intended to remain in the same place for more than 28 days. If you moved your climbing frame about a bit you might be ok. I'm planning to leave mine in the same place so I don't think I can argue this.

If you can't claim it's a temporary structure, you'll want to argue that it is permitted development (and therefore doesn't need planning permission). I believe it would be classed as an "outbuilding" and unfortunately to be permitted development an outbuilding can't have a raised platform of more than 30cm in height. There doesn't seem to be any distinction between wood or metal so I don't think the fact that it's metal will save you.

So I think (but definitely don't know) that you need planning permission.

But...

Loads of people have climbing frames without getting planning permission...

I'm going to get the climbing frame and hope the neighbours don't complain because if they don't and it isn't visible from the road then I don't think anyone will be interested in it and after 4 years the council wouldn't/couldn't take action anyway. Also, I've heard that the council would just tell you that you need planning permission but not take enforcement action. Even if you get caught there's no penalty. Worth a shot in my view. You can always take it down!

HiDBandSIL Mon 03-Apr-17 18:02:12

There's a lovely planning person on here but I can't remember her name. She would know the answer...

SwimmingMom Mon 03-Apr-17 18:25:12

We have one with a platform at 1.3 metres. Never thought of checking planning! It's just a children's frame, hardly a spying lookout! 😄

Kingofthestupids Mon 03-Apr-17 18:32:19

Yes, officially you would need planning permission. However, so long as the neighbours don't complain You'll probably get away with it.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 03-Apr-17 18:34:00

God, I hope not. My kids have been on lookout over the neighbours' gardens for the past 8 years, first from their slide then from their TP climbing frame/den thing.
Neighbours just wave at 'em and their kids engage in water pistol battles.

BigGrannyPants Mon 03-Apr-17 20:56:02

You don't need planning permission for this

Larryduff Mon 03-Apr-17 21:24:33

Thanks for the advice, I'm still confused though :D

Funnyonion17 Mon 03-Apr-17 21:27:14

My kids bounce high enough on their trampoline. Be rediculous if you needed planning for a garden toy!

EineKleine Mon 03-Apr-17 23:26:26

Don't know but I'd be amazed if anyone does. Ours moves round the garden.

Love ours btw, our little monkeys use every bar and IMO it has loads more play value than a lot of the wooden ones.

HiDBandSIL Tue 04-Apr-17 07:11:21

I think you're supposed to get planning permission for a trampoline too grin

I've found this which seems to support what I said above. I think you'd be fine as long as you move it around a bit. But really, I've no expertise on this I've just read bits on the internet so who knows.

www.permitteddevelopment.org/Garden-play-equipment-and-PD.php

johnd2 Tue 04-Apr-17 22:33:27

You'll need planning permission to go out for a walk at this rate! If it's not development then it can't be subject to planning control, and putting a trampoline on your lawn isn't development. Imagine the laughter at the council if that one arrived in the inbox!
Same goes for a climbing frame, if it's just lying around in your garden they're not going to be the slightest interested. Some people will complain about anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now