Talk

Advanced search

Post-build cleaning

(7 Posts)
wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 08:01:26

We are nearly at the end of a building project and the plastering has caused so much mess with muck getting tracked through the house. We've nearly finished mist coating all the new plaster. I want to get cleaners in now as I haven't the time or equipment to do a proper clean up, but DP is adamant there is no point until after the kitchen has been fitted in a couple of weeks time because that will cause mess too.

So, what is the consensus, do it now or later?

HalfCarrot Mon 03-Apr-17 08:14:27

Kitchen mess is not as bad, just a bit of sawdust which is easy to sweep. If you want to use the space, or just not track the dust all over the house, I'd clean now.

QuattroFormaggio Mon 03-Apr-17 08:35:30

I feel your pain as we are in the same boat but I would do a cursory clean now and then get cleaners in at the very end unless you are happy to pay to have it done twice. Our kitchen involved knocking out a chimney breast so it was actually the worst bit for dirt and dust and it got bloody everywhere (how?!) but even so we had tradesmen walking through with muddy boots, dust from old cabinets being ripped out, sawdust from new units/floor/tiles being cut. My technique is to try and ignore the filth as much as possible, then when I can't stand it any longer I run around and blitz it (which is largely futile but makes me feel more in control), then I go back to happily ignoring it again. Looking forward to being finished when it'll actually be worth vacuuming again...

wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 09:41:15

The only thing likely to cause real mess will be core drilling for the extractor, but other than that it will sawdust from the worktops. I am hacked off with DP over this - he agreed to getting cleaners in but now is saying not until it's finished. I really don't want all the muck at skirting board level to just be left there behind things and covered up. Plus we have a big glass ceiling it will be much easier to get clean before there is a sodding great island underneath it. Rant over!

Kiroro Mon 03-Apr-17 10:10:42

I'd clean now

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 03-Apr-17 10:20:51

Clean now and after but that's just me grin

wowfudge Mon 03-Apr-17 10:55:53

That's the thing, once the kitchen is fitted the clean up will be manageable. At the moment it's horribly dirty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now