Talk

Advanced search

I'll never get there...

(6 Posts)
Elainebdbd Sun 02-Apr-17 15:59:38

I moved out of my parents into a rented flat at the age of 21. I loved living alone, I'm very introverted and need space so it was great! I had friends over when I wanted, filled my home with lovely things etc. But when I hit 30 I started panicking that I didn't own a property and my future was unstable. Rent got higher and higher and I was SICK of lining someone else's pocket so I made the very tough decision to leave it all behind and lodge in a house with two other people. It's very hard, though I'm saving more obviously. I feel so embarrassed that I'm having to do this in my 30s (I'm 34). I just feel no matter how hard I try I'll never be able to buy a house by myself. There's no husband, no inheritance or wealthy relatives etc. It's just me. Even if I did scrape enough together for a measly deposit it will only be enough for a dump somewhere! Does anyone else feel like they're just stuck?!

Whisky2014 Sun 02-Apr-17 16:13:51

I felt like this over the past few years and now own a 5 bed forever home with my partner! We both got seperate Help to buy isa's..if they are still available definitely get one. You get a 25% bonus on anything you save above £1250(i think) so its a good boost to get. I reduced my spending in other lifestyle areas drastically for quite a few months and ploughed it all in to savings. You will get there but it is frustrating. Have you looked at properties to know the kind of deposit you need to save for? We got 95% mortgage which were not advertised on the banking websites, it was only when we booked mortgage appointments we would out they were available. There is hope!

PippaFawcett Sun 02-Apr-17 16:15:02

Can you look at shared equity properties?

Donostia Sun 02-Apr-17 16:23:15

the govt scrapped the help to buy isas.

OP sympathies. Impossible dream here too.

Whisky2014 Sun 02-Apr-17 16:28:01

Looks to me like help to buy isa's are still available www.halifax.co.uk/isas/cash-isas/help-to-buy-isa/

SillySongsWithLarry Mon 03-Apr-17 03:23:07

Buy a dump if that's what you can afford. At least it will be your dump. I bought a dump - flat above shops, rough end of town, short lease, total wreck. I extended the lease and now I'm just about making it nice after years of living in a dump and don't regret it at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now