Supply and fit electric point (fused spur) £63.97
We will have an electrician on site who will carry out the electrical
connections to your boiler to the required regulations
£196.93
Disconnections and Removals
Remove existing flue system £99.06
Your Boiler Aftercare
5 Year Warranty - includes repairs for your boiler, controls and central
heating in year one and repairs for your boiler in years two to five.
£0.00
Customer Information
Socket and See electrical test carried out. Result satisfactory £0.00
No asbestos identified (see Installation Notes and Terms and
Conditions for further details)
£0.00
Hive Active Heating
Hive 2 Active Heating Programmable Thermostat £249.00
Central Heating Controls
Cylinder thermostat £61.69
Hot Water Cylinder
Gledhill 162ltr Envirofoam stainless steel cylinder £279.83
Replace hot water cylinder £164.50
Install Immersion Heater in DHW cylinder and connect with flex to a suitable
existing electrical point located within 2 metres of the cylinder position
£55.00
System Water Treatment
Install 22mm Magnetic System Filter £239.90
Upgrade to System Water Treatment and Powerflush £369.00

Total is 6500 for a 4 bed 3 bath house, my worry is the guy said the max tank from British Gas is 169 litres or so which i think is not enough as another plumber told i would need at least 300 liters, I cant use a megaflow as mains pressure is quite weak

I also want to know if I can have the tank downstairs to free up the cupboard on the 2nd floor of house, if the tank will have a pump is location important

PigletJohn Sun 02-Apr-17 14:03:04

I see you are having a vented cylinder. You can put it anywhere you want, because the pressure in it is derived from the cold water tank, which I expect will be in your loft. I don't see a line for fitting a new cold tank, so perhaps your old one is modern, lidded, insulated, and big enough. For an upstairs shower, you will probably want a pumped mixer or a shower pump. A downstairs shower may be OK depending on your house height.

I don't see why you couldn't have a bigger cylinder. Water weighs 1kg per litre, so an extra 150 litres would weigh 150kg more, plus a bit for the extra metal of the cylinder. Due to the weight it might be better on a solid ground floor. Less heat will be wasted if the cylinder is close to the boiler and to the hot tap you use most, as pipes will be shorter. I would want a cylinder with two immersion heater elements, one near the top and one near the bottom. A bath might use 100 litres and a shower 50. I would prefer a cylinder big enough for a days use, or at least two baths if you have multiple bathrooms, as it is more efficient on gas and yo will not have to wait for it to reheat.

If you quote is from British Gas then you can pretty well guarantee it will be higher than anyone else's quote.

Ask around for well-established local independent suppliers. If you want the security of a big company, see if your local large electricity company sells boilers.

Some CH engineers are not keen on WB now. They are renowned for disagreeing with each other. Ask about Vaillant and Viessmann. You may find an approved installer in your area on their websites. The guarantee may be longer from an approved installer.

I wouldn't recommend putting a boiler in the loft.

elay5 Sun 02-Apr-17 14:27:25

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I am not too technical so not sure but I dont think I have a tank in the loft for cold water, hope that makes sense

I was told i cant have a megaflow as pressure from mains is not very good

I will get another quote from a registered company, seems BT try and push the Worcester boilers, are they as good or not

reason we wanted to move boiler was becuase we are thinking of doing an extension so dont want to have to move again, now I am thinking we might keep it where it is now as the utility room its in might not be affected by the extensioin, will confirm from the architect, right now we are replacing some old boiler, mexico 2 ideal or something which is a floor standing boiler

Once I get new quote will post here for your opinion, thanks for the reply and your comments

PigletJohn Sun 02-Apr-17 14:45:42

As you have an unvented cylinder, it is pretty certain that it is fed from a cold tank.

In some cases a small cold tank is perched on the hot cylinder, built as a single unit. This is a space saver in a small flat, but not very satisfactory. It has to be higher than any taps is the flat.

PigletJohn Sun 02-Apr-17 14:50:06

btw if you have poor water flow, this is often caused in olde houses by a small lead or iron waterpipe coming into the house from the watermain under the pavement. This pipe is usually half-inch, sometimes three-eights of an inch internal bore, unless it is lead, when it might have been squashed by ground pressure.

In which case a better solution is to lay a new pipe out to the pavement. This involves digging a trench. It need not follow the same route as the old pipe. It can give much better results than a cold loft tank.

If the house is old, the service pipe might need replacing anyway, when it leaks.

If your house is at the top of a hill, or miles from the nearest road on a farm, this might not be suitable.

elay5 Sun 02-Apr-17 15:07:01

Thanks, I had one plumber who said one could get a mains booster pump, dont know how that would work but will call water company to ask

blackcountrygirl Sun 02-Apr-17 21:49:13

PigletJohn can you please explain why it is not a good idea to put the boiler in the loft? We are having a similar unvented system and have been advised to put both tank & boiler up in the loft.

PigletJohn Sun 02-Apr-17 22:45:03

It is out of sight and out of reach. You won't be looking at it often enough to notice if it is dripping or making odd noises, and it will be outside the heated envelope of the house so more likely to freeze. When you become old and infirm, or need a new hip, or hurt your knee, you won't be able to climb up there.

Lots of maintainers will not maintain it unless you have fixed steps, flooring, guard rails round the hatch, fixed lighting.

elay5 Mon 03-Apr-17 15:10:00

HI Piglet John

Hope you see this, do you have any suggestions on water tanks, 250 - 300 litres ones, what would you recommend?

PigletJohn Mon 03-Apr-17 16:19:34

3 bathrooms? I'd be tempted to go for the biggest. A 300l should easily do three baths, which might be over-generous, because even with a smaller one, if the boilers on, by the time you've had your bath, towelled off and cut your toenails, it will have replenished enough for the next bath. But it is more economical on gas to run the boiler once or twice a day, rather than let it run to top-up every time you use a sinkful of hot water.

I also think you should be looking into replacing your water supply pipe. A gnarled local plumber (you don't need a gas fitter) should have the local experience to tell you if there is any reason not to. If you can get good flow and pressure with a new pipe, you can go for an unvented cylinder and get unsurpassed performance with no pumps or cold tank required.

A few people on here have done it.

elay5 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:32:39

I have a new quote from another guy who says he can fit a mains pump and install an unvented system

The Work: Heating and Hot Water System Upgrade
1) Decommission existing boiler and hot water cylinder
2) Power flush the system
3) Install new EcoTec Valliant Plus system boiler in the utility room
4) Replace existing hot water cylinder with 300litre sealed megaflow
5) Install booster pump on the mains cold water in the utility room
6) Install electric water scale reducer in the utility room
7) Run the system test heating circuit and hot water circuit
(Any work or extra work that is not mentioned or discussed in the contract or arises as a result of existing
defects should be discussed outside this contract. 50% of the balance is payable on the first day the work
commences and the remaining is payable after completion of work. The work will be completed in
approximately 5 days)
Material: £3,950.00 (only an estimate)
Labour charge: £ 1,500.00 Total: £5,450.00

elay5 Tue 04-Apr-17 08:50:15

Just called water supplier and was told that the area the property is in, is on a pressure management plan and most likely a new pipe would not have an impact but still speaking with them to get someone to come out, hope the timing works

elay5 Tue 04-Apr-17 09:00:28

Wowsers another shock, application form fee is 250 ish quid, then they review and have I think 28 days to do a survey then they will come back with the cost which lady said might be about 1k to 2k

Think I would prefer a solution with the current system, 300 litre tank as you said vented, and a solid boiler and a pump should be ok

What are your thoughts

PigletJohn Tue 04-Apr-17 09:33:16

I wouldn't want a whole house pump, the noise will annoy you.

You only need to pump the shower(s) on the top floor. Depending on the height of your house, a ground floor shower may be adequate.

You can get shower mixers that incorporate their own pump.

elay5 Tue 04-Apr-17 10:04:40

All the showers are on the top floor, so are we assuming three shower pumps instead of one main house pump

It seems the tank will go on the 2nd floor where it has been, only cupboard that can take a 300 litre tank

Got another quote from British Gas that excludes a tank as the largest tank they supply is 162 litres, this quote is to replace boiler and keep in utility room no more going to the loft, they are quite expensive and also excludes the tank

Boiler £1,029.00 (Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i System ErP)
Installation Essentials £4,594.66
Tailored Extras £815.97
Total gross price (inc. VAT) £6,439.63
Our offers for you
Spring Flash Sale - All Boilers Half Price £514.50
HIVE Active Heating Control - Home Installations Offer £50.00
Total discount £564.50
Total net price (inc. VAT) £5,875.13

Reading which dont even think this boiler is strong enough, makes one wonder the quality of engineers these companies send out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now