Talk

Advanced search

Dining Room - pine overlaod

(6 Posts)
Sunnyshores Sun 02-Apr-17 12:59:12

new (to us) home has pine skirtings and doors, dont mind that particularly, but the furniture we have is all pine too - large dining table, 6 chairs, 1930s pine dresser, pine sideboard. Because its an open plan room the pine stairs and the pine back door can be seen. Its too much!!

The house is 1930s modernish, clean lines, grey slate floor thoroughout, off white walls (just done as instant refresh, could be changed).

I dont really want to paint the furniture (sideboard maybe) as its all quite expensive and is a nice old pine. But what can I do to add some colour and reduce pine-ness?

Floggingmolly Sun 02-Apr-17 13:01:41

Paint the skirtings white for a start...

Sunnyshores Sun 02-Apr-17 13:03:57

The skirtings are througout the whole house, would look odd just to paint them in the open plan dining room

emsyj37 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:21:37

Paint sideboard, cloth on table/seat pad cushions on chairs, skirting white through whole house. Leave doors unpainted. That is what I would do anyway!

JT05 Sun 02-Apr-17 13:56:16

I'd paint the stairs. Then reassess whether the back door need lightening.

Sunnyshores Sun 02-Apr-17 14:31:37

Great help everyone thanks.

Although Im really not sure about painting the skirtings, theyre nice and high and I like the wood its not orangey pine - and tbh its much easier to keep clean than white.

I can def paint the stairs white that would be a huge improvement, prob the back door too (grey).

And match in seat pads, blind, tablecloth.

The sideboard would look better painted, maybe a bright zingy yellow or blue? The family room/breakfast room next door has midcentury style sofas one is bright blue.

Should I paint a wall too or will that be enough? Any colour ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now