Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got engineered oak flooring?

(15 Posts)
PlaymobilPirate Sun 02-Apr-17 09:03:21

Fairly sure about putting it in the living room (parquet style) but dp wants to put it in the kitchen / diner too which will be REALLY expensive as it's a big space.

It's a lot of money to spend - just wondered if anyone has it - would you recommend??

WanderingTrolley1 Sun 02-Apr-17 09:06:22

I love ours in our kitchen-diner.

PlaymobilPirate Sun 02-Apr-17 09:07:02

Was it horribly expensive wandering ?

greathat Sun 02-Apr-17 09:10:15

We do. It's fantastic. More expensive than some types of flooring, but very good quality and really lasts. Shop around for a deal, especially if you are getting a larger quantity. Places will send you off cuts as samples

namechangedtoday15 Sun 02-Apr-17 09:11:10

We have it too (we have Kahrs - about 60 sq metres) and really love it.

NomDePlumeReloaded Sun 02-Apr-17 09:14:19

We have it in our living room. It cost about £5k around 4years ago. It's herringbone pattern. Really beautiful and quite durable but I wouldn't recommend it in a kitchen diner where it's likely to get wet, stuff dropped on it or chairs scraped on it.

PlaymobilPirate Sun 02-Apr-17 09:19:50

We're looking at about 60 square metres too - it's so expensive!! 🙈

QuitMoaning Sun 02-Apr-17 10:02:19

I was thinking about this but have been persuaded by our potential builder to go for karndean which on website looks similar (we are going for grey wood). Still not finalised it yet though.

JT05 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:03:26

We have it throughout the ground floor of H/H, it's been down 9 years and still looks good. But you do have to be carefull, no high heels, it will dent. Also in the kitchen the fridge leaked while we were not there and has left a dark mark.

whatnextfred Sun 02-Apr-17 10:08:35

I'm moving into a house with lime engineered oak flooring in hall and lounge. How do I care for it? Is steam mop / mopping with water a no no?

JT05 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:20:48

I 'wash' mine with floor wipes and a mop gadget. Both from Wilkos.

namechangedtoday15 Sun 02-Apr-17 10:36:55

As I said above, ours is kitchen diner extension. Suppose its down to personal preference. Would never ever have tiles bitter, who me? and whilst Karndean / Amtico is probably more durable (parents have it) I don't like the look of vinyl. Obviously carpet is out, laminate looks a bit fake, so not many other choices!!

CountMagnus Sun 02-Apr-17 10:47:03

Also bear in mind that if you have engineered wood in the kitchen and you have a free standing fridge freezer, moving it could well mark the floor quite badly.

whatnext the joiner who laid my floor recommended using a steam mop, but most manufacturers seem to advise against steaming? Might depend on the finish?

NomDePlumeReloaded Sun 02-Apr-17 11:59:34

Don't wet mop it, fred. I clean mine (rarely) with method wood floor cleaner (the squinty one that smells of marzipan) and a microfibre pad. It is vacuumed regularly and spot cleaned when required but tbh, doesn't need a major cleaning much more than that as we are no shoes house.

NomDePlumeReloaded Sun 02-Apr-17 12:00:04

*squiRty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now