Talk

Advanced search

Kitchen decisions!

(14 Posts)
Blacksquirrel Sun 02-Apr-17 07:03:21

We're in the planning stage of a kitchen/diner extension.
Do you think the combination in the picture is too beige? Our dining table is oak.
We're thinking of porcelain tiles on the floor. What colour do you think would work best with this combination?

Thanks in advance flowers

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 07:04:39

It is quite beige. I like an all white kitchen but not an all cream kitchen.

cece Sun 02-Apr-17 07:06:44

Yes it is too beige for me.

Which would you change the cupboards or the worktop?

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 07:08:07

Do you have a collection of kitchen "looks" that you like? I think slatey tiles on the floor look good with pale kitchens.

OutandIn Sun 02-Apr-17 07:08:54

Yes- what about dark grey quartz worktops- can look really nice with cream/ off white and more modern.

Silverdream Sun 02-Apr-17 07:26:10

How about an wooden work top or if you want that style of work top a darker brown

Blacksquirrel Sun 02-Apr-17 07:29:07

Thanks.

I thought as much. I seem to be drawn towards the cream cupboards as I don't think they will age too quickly & I'm not keen on white although I'm not set on any choices yet....I spend quite a lot of time in Wickes looking at different combinations.

Most cream kitchen pics are with wooden worktop but I really need easy to look after

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 02-Apr-17 08:55:54

Cream shaker can work well with a cream top as long as you add some 'wow' elsewhere in the room - i.e. Some amazing vibrantly coloured soft furnishings or orange cooker or fridge etc !
So basically you are using the cream as a neutral background to let the vibrant elements sing out !

If there's no other wow element it could be a bit meh !

Semaphorically Sun 02-Apr-17 09:16:25

What about a slate worktop? It's hard wearing.

Badgertastic Sun 02-Apr-17 09:41:49

We love wood worktops but have decided to put a wenge laminate in for ease of use. It looks lovely and has a bit of texture. It is a duropal one from HC Supplies. They have a lot of choice and will send samples out.

cece Sun 02-Apr-17 12:37:16

I have wooden worktops and they aren't really any extra work at all.

Astro55 Sun 02-Apr-17 12:40:47

I think the beige look is on the way out - replacing with grey!

We are house hunting and every kitchen seems identical - and uninspired!

Look at tiles first and then have a look at work tops - go with what you like

wowfudge Sun 02-Apr-17 20:40:24

We've just bought a cream inframe shaker kitchen and are having oak worktops around the sides and Corian for the large island. Our house is Edwardian though. I find grey so dull and it seems to be everywhere, which means it's on its way out. I'm not really swayed by fashion though anyway - we've chosen what we like.

Miniwookie Mon 03-Apr-17 23:20:28

I think cream shaker looks quite dated now tbh. Saying that, if you like it and you're going to stay in your house a while, then go for it, as anything you put in now will be dated in ten yrs time anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now