Talk

Advanced search

break clause

(5 Posts)
user1491067594 Sat 01-Apr-17 18:30:36

I am renting a property at present with 12 month lease, unfortunately, I won't be able to finish the lease due to change in circumtances. My contract have a break clause which says "2 months after 10 months". Can anyone explain to me what does this means?

wowfudge Sat 01-Apr-17 18:44:42

Can you post all the text from the paragraph or clause of the tenancy agreement? From the brief text you've provided, we'd just be guessing.

Hs2Issue Sat 01-Apr-17 18:46:09

Basically it means that after you've lived in the property for 10 months you can give notice then (in writing) of 2 months (before the date that rent is due). So really you are tied into a 12 month contract - have you approached the Lanlord and asked if you could be released early, perhaps if you offered to pay their marketing fees?

user1491067594 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:12:29

Thank you for ur reply. I did and i have offered to pay all fees but they also wanted me to pay until a new tenant moves in. What will happen to the council tax? and i assume i don't need to pay bills until new tenant moves in as no one will be there to use it (electricity, water). Also, if i give back the keys to them before the end of my tenancy, will i go through normal check out as well as I am worried they won't do check out until new tenant moves in, what fi something happen to flat and its still in my name?

namechangedtoday15 Sat 01-Apr-17 20:35:06

Generally speaking, without knowing the details, the landlord will want you to remain as the tenant until a new tenant signs a tenancy agreement (unless you come to an agreement with the landlord). You will remain liable for everything you would have been liable for if you'd been living there (utilities etc). You'd have to contact the council about council tax to tell them although you're liable for council tax the property is empty and you're living elsewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now