Talk

Advanced search

Painting black waste pipe behind sink

(11 Posts)
dilapidated Fri 31-Mar-17 20:24:21

We have hired a plumber to replace bathroom in our house including tiling.

All lovely except for we have visited the house today to see that he has used black waste pipe instead of white on an all white bathroom.

We have asked him to change it to white but he is refusing to do so saying that it can be painted and we should have realised it would be white when we visited after tiling was done as the beginning of the waste pipe had been installed.

Yes we saw this but assumed it would be concealed and not the hideous mess that I see now.
Photo attached.

What's best to use to paint this if we want to save an argument? (He is meant to be coming back to install kitchen plumbing in a few weeks time)

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 31-Mar-17 20:29:53

I'd get that boxed in...any tongue and groove left over?? It'll be a filthy dust trap other wise.

RNBrie Fri 31-Mar-17 20:33:28

Did you agree to it being fitted like that? Usually the fittings go into the wall behind the sink rather than down to the floor. I'd not sure I'd want this person to fit my kitchen if he's happy leaving work that looks like that sad

dilapidated Fri 31-Mar-17 20:34:56

I do t think we are having him back after this.
He has left all the rubbish he has removed in our back garden and when asked when he'll be removing it said that we agreed to dispose of the rubbish.
I think not!

Fairylea Fri 31-Mar-17 20:35:51

I'd have him change it. Who on earth fits a lovely bathroom in white like that and then uses a black pipe? confused Smacks of laziness.

dilapidated Fri 31-Mar-17 20:43:17

Spoke to dp (carpenter) and it can't be boxed in unfortunately.

He told us that it would be mostly concealed within the pedestal, but it's not and being that visible it needs to be white.

The sink is side on as you walk into the room so it's a real eyesore 😭

Fairylea Fri 31-Mar-17 20:52:10

You can paint it with satin paint if you really have to, or even cover it with white duck tape or white fablon in strips. But that's a last resort! If you use gloss paint make sure it's water based and not oil as otherwise it will yellow over time.

RNBrie Fri 31-Mar-17 21:02:03

It should look like the first pic here.

But you could cover it up with a pedestal sink cupboard if you felt so inclined.

Liara Fri 31-Mar-17 21:05:11

Use a primer for PVC, then you can put whatever paint you want on top. The primer itself will make it white, so that alone might be enough (might need a few coats).

caroldecker Fri 31-Mar-17 21:17:50

It would better to get someone to re-fit it properly. It should be hidden by the pedestal.

dilapidated Sat 08-Apr-17 20:17:13

We contacted another plumber and showed him the photo and he was shocked by the state of it and said there are a few things that should have been done differently to hide the pipes.

He's offered to sort it out for us.

However, we have just had a rude message from our original plumber saying he wants to come in and finish and get remaining balance. (We paid up to date, he had kitchen work outstanding which based on his workmanship and rudeness we won't be having him back for)
When we asked him to put it right he refused.
So we have said we are finding an alternative plumber to put it right and he is now threatening to come round for the full quote balance.
shockconfused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now