Talk

Advanced search

No id for solicitor checks

(11 Posts)
Bashitcrazy Thu 30-Mar-17 22:08:57

Seriously panicking- in the middle of buying a house, my brother has gifted some money. He has received a letter from the solicitor today asking for I'd. One of th following
List is
- passport
- resident permit
- full driving licence and photo card
- benefit book or letter confirming rights to benefits
- photographic registration cards for self employed individuals
- firearms/ shotgun licence
- national ID card with photo

He has NOTHING on this list!!! I'm stressing out massively - don't know what to do. He has got a provisional licence and a birth certificate but I don't know if they would accept this.
Has anyone else been through similar???
Thanks

johnd2 Thu 30-Mar-17 22:56:32

Don't see why provisional driving licence is different from a full one, it's photo ID not proof he can drive. But some places have some funny rules so maybe they think a leaner can't be trusted. But it's true since we don't have id cards here of you don't have a passport or driving licence you basically don't exist!

sparechange Thu 30-Mar-17 22:59:30

When does the solicitor need to see the ID?

He can get a passport in 6 days by post, or get a same day appointment in person, although there might be a couple of days wait for the appointment.
If he has his birth certificate, he just needs some certified photos and the application form

AlexanderHamilton Thu 30-Mar-17 23:03:40

The full list is half way down this page.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/proof-of-identity-checklist/proof-of-identity-checklist

I don't know why CIS 4 cards (photographic registration cards for self employed individuals in the construction industry) are still in the list since the government got rid of them years ago!

mymatemax Thu 30-Mar-17 23:04:54

An original birth certificate that was issued within six weeks if birth (not a subsequent original copy if you have lost the original as this can be obtained by an on-line request) is accepted by all government departments as proof of ID. He may need to provide a second supplementary item & proof of address.

johnd2 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:31:18

I thought nowadays you had an interview if you got a passport for the first time? But maybe it's a quick process.
Also birth certificates are not proof of ID, they just prove that the named person was born on the given date. The original is kept in the official register and any that you are given are just copies even if they were written out at the time.

QuiteLikely5 Fri 31-Mar-17 08:36:05

They do it to check you're not money laundering or that he isn't money laundering. He will have to sort something out.

Ring your sol today and advise he had a provisional license

Bashitcrazy Fri 31-Mar-17 08:50:47

Am going to ring them first thjng this morning!! I'm hoping that because it is only a small amount £4000 they maybe a little more lenient?! Who knows?!
He will apply for a passport no problem, I'm just very concerned that we will be adding a potential 8 weeks on to the purchase and I really do t think the chain will wait that long - I will be heartbroken if this falls through due to something as stupid as this

NoArmaniNoPunani Fri 31-Mar-17 09:17:20

A provisional license should be acceptable

AlexanderHamilton Fri 31-Mar-17 09:24:05

Unfortunately on the list I linked to above (from the govt website) a provisional licence is specifically mentioned as not being acceptable documentation.
A full birth certificate is acceptable.

There can be no leniency unless the solicitor wishes to risk losing their licence to practice.

Bashitcrazy Fri 31-Mar-17 09:39:38

Just to finish this off-spoke to the solicitors and a provisional is fine 😊😊 thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now