We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

farrow and ball durability for kitchen unit

(9 Posts)
isabelle45 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:13:32

I have posted it before and got mixed answers. We are thinking of having our existing kitchen units painted in farrow and ball by a kitchen painter. He assures me it is very durable and is better than little greene and the others which he also uses. Does anyone have any experience of this with the water based paint?
He will be putting 2 coats primer and and 2 coats colour , and sanding it with a machine.

thank you

dontcallmelen Thu 30-Mar-17 16:32:24

Hi Op I have had my units painted in f&b & littlegreene both ok but they did Mark/chip fairly easily, the best paint I have found for cupboards is mylands water based eggshell, goes on & covers really well is incredibly hardwearing, mine currently painted in mylands fitzrovia a pale mushroom colour & holding up very well.

Ifonlyiweretaller Thu 30-Mar-17 16:50:17

Mine are painted with F&B Skimming Stone but decrroator put a 'glaze' over the second coat (don't know if it was a F&B glaze or was just something the decorator automatically does for kitchen units.) They haven't chipped at all.

blueskyinmarch Thu 30-Mar-17 16:52:41

Mine are painted with F&B White Tie. They haven't chipped and they seem to wash well.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 30-Mar-17 19:14:19

I had units painted in F&B. Easily chipped and needed touching up regularly.

I now understand (may be wrong) that the old oil-based formula was very durable but the water-based formula - which is what our units were painted with I - doesn't hold up to the demands needed for a family kitchen.

Haint Thu 30-Mar-17 19:30:41

Little Greene still do an oil based paint. WE used it and it's great

bettys Fri 31-Mar-17 08:13:00

My F&B kitchen units have also chipped but a friend recommended using F&B exterior eggshell as being harder wearing so I may try that next time.

Weloveoptimus Fri 31-Mar-17 08:19:22

Don't waste your money OP. Pick your chosen colour and go to a Johnstone decorating centre. They will advise and mix your colour for you with trade standard paint (excellent quality) The colour is identical to any you choose, but you will be very satisfied with how it performs. I thank you (smile)

isabelle45 Mon 10-Apr-17 23:58:36

Thanks for all the replies, it seems to depend who does it as some people says it fine and others say it chips. I think I will try it in the utility room and see how it holds up.

Ifonlyiweretaller and blueskyinmarch I was considering white tie and skimming stone as possible colours. It would be really great to see what the painted kitchen might look like or you can message me if that is easier.

Cant decide whether to keep it light but warm feeling ( white tie) or more modern skimming stone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now