Advanced search

Anyone knowledgeable about double glazing and building regs?

(3 Posts)
BernardsBum Wed 29-Mar-17 21:04:57

I have been googling, but am still confused!

Our double glazing needs replacing and we are getting quotes. However we are being told different things by the installers regarding safety requirements for window openings.

Our bedroom currently has 'push out' windows (ie hinges at the top). Two of the installers have quoted for pretty much like for like replacement (the one guy said that building regs only require them to not make anything more dangerous). The other two companies have told us that by law, bedroom windows have to have a fire escape and this cannot be done with push outs as our windows are too shallow. However, as our windows are super-wide, they also can't do side openers in the size that we want, so we would have to change the design to have more panels in the window, adding extra cost. One of these companies also told us that if we did have push-outs, we wouldn't be able to sell the house in future as it would fail any survey!!

I'll try calling building control and also Fensa tomorrow, but in the meantime - can anyone provide guidance?

ArriettyClock1 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:03:26

You cant make things worse than they are already. So, if your windows are suitable for means of escape, the new ones should be too. If your windows have trickle vents, the new ones should have them etc..

Building Control can only happy the regs regarding windows suitable for means of escape to extensions or new builds.

ArriettyClock1 Wed 29-Mar-17 22:03:43

*apply, not happy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: