Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had their house used as a location?

(11 Posts)
TinfoilHattie Wed 29-Mar-17 17:45:45

Just had a very interesting chat with a lady who knocked on the door scouting for locations. Her production company is filming a public health style advert and is looking for an ordinary family home with some requirements (back garden, room suitable for a 8 year old ish boy, open plan kitchen/living area). She took photos, said it would be a two day shoot and said if we were chosen there would be a fee involved.

Quite happy to clear out for a couple of days if the fee is worth it!!

Lindy2 Wed 29-Mar-17 17:55:35

Not something I've done personally but a few tv series have been filmed in our village and people have done very well out of it. If it's a reputable company (ours have been BBC and Disney) the location is usually left immaculate and quite a few £ are paid.
I'd offer my house in a flash but no one has asked. sad

TinfoilHattie Wed 29-Mar-17 18:30:27

It's a small-ish Scottish production company. They have done similar things in the past - adverts encouraging people to cycle, or feed their kids fruit, or get active rather than sitting on the sofa sort of thing. They have also filmed locally in the past, there was a "ride your bike" thing filmed round the corner last year. Definitely reputable, but not on a BBC/Disney scale.

If we are chosen, I would be happy with anything upwards of £200 for the day.

Lindy2 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:18:31

I'd go for it. It would be fun to see your own house on tv as well as getting some extra cash.

birdladyfromhomealone Wed 29-Mar-17 20:20:54

My land and stables was used for Kirsty Allsops new show, filmed with a drone without permission and without a fee!

bionicant Wed 29-Mar-17 20:24:04

My dad has they moved most of the furniture and added lots if photos was really odd seeing it on tv but fun to look back on

MammyNeedsASpaDay Wed 29-Mar-17 20:49:13

They filmed for BBC drama next door t my sisters house. (They're massive houses in the north west)

They paid her to use her drive for the crew and equipment and put some things up at her windows. She got a few hundred.

The neighbours got paid a lot as they moved out for a few days.

cleanasawhistle Wed 29-Mar-17 20:53:28

My neighbour's house was used,they said they wouldn't do it again....

But it was for a soap and the filming took a couple of days longer than expected.Lots of pictures were hung on the walls and my neighbours had to replace the wall paper.

Don't think it would put me off saying yes.

peanutbutter310 Wed 29-Mar-17 20:59:03

I once had some scenes for a BBC drama done in our rented flat. The fee was good, and they left the place spotless, but our neighbour was working from home and complained about the crew. I guess they weren't totally considerate when it came to noise, kit left in hallways, etc.

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Wed 29-Mar-17 21:01:42

My friends house was in an advert once, no fee but all the houses had a free paint job.

TinfoilHattie Mon 17-Apr-17 08:40:20

Update on this - we agreed to the filming and it was done last week. It's for a campaign including tv ads, billboards and internet banner ads. We had a full day's filming last Tuesday from around 10am to 7pm which was total chaos - around 30 people in the house, cables and monitors everywhere and the street filled with transit vans. We also had another shoot over the weekend but that was much less intrusive as they were doing stills photography only, and just in the garden, and it only took 90 minutes. We were paid £600 for the two days combined.

Would do it again as it's money for nothing, but my advice to anyone else in the same position is to clear out totally while they're in your house as you can't make a cuppa or use the loo without 12 people in your way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now