Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which property would you choose

(25 Posts)
RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 16:50:34

Both houses have roughly the same size floor area and interior advantages.
Both in catchment for good schools.

House A:
- Close to local shopping and town centre (10mins and 25mins walk respectively)
- On top of a small hill with amazing views and light
- Backs onto a park so the views are far reaching and green.
- 4 houses from the end of Cul de sac with direct access to the park (lovely green space but no play equipment)
- 7 min walk across park and up a road to visit grandparents when DC are older (no roads to cross)
- Small garden - 30ft wide by 42ft deep

House B:
- Further from local shopping and town centre (about 35min and 1 HR walk respectively)
- Surrounded by gardens so green but no spectacular views
- Close to beautiful countryside but would need to walk at least 10 mins to get to it across roads and on single track roads
- 7 min walk from a lovely big playground that DC love which also has tennis courts
- 30 mins walk from grandparents
- Big garden 30 ft wide x 150 ft deep

???

PurpleWithaMysteryBun Wed 29-Mar-17 16:54:23

House A.

We are looking to move from your house B soon. Location location location and older dc will like the freedom. Smaller DC are fine with a smaller garden imo

Bitchfromhell Wed 29-Mar-17 16:54:24

Both sound lovely, it's a close call. I think it would be house 2 for me. Just because it sounds a bit more rural/quieter which is what I like.

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 29-Mar-17 16:56:05

From the way you've described it I'd go for House A. House B sounds as if it might be great in the short term, but things like playgrounds aren't going to be important in the long term - although it depends how long you intend to live there of course.

Having great views and light will always be good, and would make the house easier to sell on, perhaps. That it backs onto a park is also good because it sounds as if the view etc is likely to last, or is unlikely to be built on.

BerylStreep Wed 29-Mar-17 16:57:35

What is parking like for house A?

How old are your DC?

How close to schools are they / ease of access to get there?

minipie Wed 29-Mar-17 16:58:16

A without question. But I'm a townie grin

RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 16:58:58

That is what my heart tells me (A)- I plan to be there 30+ years. But I've always wanted a big garden to grow veg and keep chickens...

witwootoodleoo Wed 29-Mar-17 17:01:41

A sounds much more practical and you describe it more warmly which might say something about which way you're leaning

Firstaidnovice Wed 29-Mar-17 17:07:04

Your description totally reads as though you prefer A!. It sounds as though garden size is the only downside? We have a small garden but easy access to good parks etc, and it works well for us.

RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 17:08:16

Both same parking - space for 1 on drive, could be space for 2 at expense of front garden. House B is on a quiet road but not a cup de sac. Both have a garage.

RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 17:21:49

They're 2,5,9. All local schools are oversubscribed so the older ones will at least start in a school I have to drive to. 15 min drive from house A, 20 from house B.

It is really the garden that's swaying me. But having a park on your doorstep is amazing, and lots of the neighbours have gates leading direct from back garden into park.

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 29-Mar-17 19:07:13

A!!!

meshletterholder Wed 29-Mar-17 19:16:09

i would choose A because driving to school and parking is never fun! A also because kids can be more independent when older and walk to town/school/train station etc. the garden size would be big enough for veg but not sure about chickens. volunteer at chicken rescue?

Joinourclub Wed 29-Mar-17 19:19:54

House A for sure. Backing on to a park sounds great. The park is your garden!

SnowGlobes Wed 29-Mar-17 19:39:05

Definitely A!

SnowGlobes Wed 29-Mar-17 19:42:22

We kept chickens at our old house but we had an enormous garden & they free ranged. I work in metres so not sure how big 42ft x30ft is but you could definitely have a couple of chickens as even an eglu type thing with a run doesn't take up much space. It all depends what else you use your garden for though.

RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 20:45:50

That's encouraging snow, it's about 115sqm.

House A is the only house I've seen so far in my search that has made me feel really excited about moving. I love my current place but have grown out of it. I do want to love the next place and not feel I've 'settled' iykwim.

CremeEggThief Wed 29-Mar-17 20:48:01

Definitely A.

lazydog Wed 29-Mar-17 20:55:02

House A by a mile.

JuvenileD Wed 29-Mar-17 20:56:23

House A what is the actual advantage of house B? Just the garden?

RaisinsAndApple Wed 29-Mar-17 21:08:44

Advantage is the garden, and I prefer the school that it's in the catchment of, but having said that it's a newish school and doesn't go up to 9yo age group so would have to do 2 yrs of separate drop offs if younger ones went there. I do have people around who would be willing to help with that, but still - I'm also a bit worried the eldest might feel left out if the others went to a different school.

This thread is useful in showing me what I really feel grin thanks!

minipie Thu 30-Mar-17 12:12:16

I know people with chickens in a much smaller garden than 32x40ft! And they grow veg too. (Admittedly not huge amounts of garden left after that...)

NotCitrus Thu 30-Mar-17 12:47:05

I'd go for A, and would suggest it unless you really are absolutely obsessed with gardening. The smaller one is still plenty big enough for most people.

irregularegular Thu 30-Mar-17 12:51:22

sounds like you want A!

are there any shops or facilities within walking distance of B? What about public transport? It sounds like B might feel quite isolated, whereas when they children are a little older they can be more independent at A.

Any chance that you could campaign and raise money for play equipment at A??? Probably not before children are too old...

RaisinsAndApple Thu 30-Mar-17 13:26:24

Thank you - you know when you talk (virtually) about something it makes you realise how you really feel? Well this thread has done that. I want A!

Trouble is they're doing an open house on Sat and there's loads of interest. I'm terrified of playing it wrong and either overpaying or losing it. Argh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now