Talk

Advanced search

Configuration of doors for a loft conversion?

(5 Posts)
RaisinsAndApple Tue 28-Mar-17 20:32:34

So I'm looking at a house I like (not viewed it yet) which has the loft converted, and they've got a weird room at the bottom of the loft stairs, the size and location of which appears to be constraining all the other bedrooms on the first floor so that they are all quite narrow. There's no door at the top of the loft stairway.

Is this likely to be a fire requirement? And if I added a door at the top of the stairs could I do away with the 'room' and perhaps rearrange the doors to make at least the front bedroom bigger?

Floor plan attached.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 28-Mar-17 20:40:47

Looking at it again, I think that the stairs probably make it too low to put a door to bedroom 3 that would make bedroom 2 bigger - why the hell did they not put the stairs at the front - there's no dormer?

I wonder how much it would cost to move the staircase? Ach, there's probably some good reason why they did it that way. What a crap thread.

Miniwookie Tue 28-Mar-17 21:45:47

How weird! Why didn't they continue the stairs above the existing stairs I wonder. Can you link the online details for pics? Moving the stairs would be expensive, but worth it to gain a small bedroom or make the other two bigger. I can't see the room size as can't zoom on phone.

m0therofdragons Tue 28-Mar-17 21:58:34

My friend's house is like this and it was a building regs thing. She made the stair room the "dressing room" for the main bedroom.

RaisinsAndApple Tue 28-Mar-17 23:01:33

I wonder if it's building regs or because there's a bigger window where the stairs would naturally go, and only a small one at the back? Or a mix of the two reasons if there are some safety or planning rules about running a staircase in front of a window - though I've seen plenty of places that have done that. It's very frustrating.

How much would it cost (ballpark) I wonder to move the stairs?

I'll ask the agent when I view it but I doubt they'll know. They can ask the vendor though.

I know it's both boring and paranoid but I don't want to post a link because I keep missing out on houses I like...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now