Talk

Advanced search

Do you tile behind bathroom sink

(7 Posts)
Valbr123789 Tue 28-Mar-17 20:21:32

My builder is adamant that I must tile behind the sink. Sink is right to the shower though there is a glass screen/partition. As it's a small bathroom I would rather not tile, use special paint. I've tiled along along the bath/shower. He said that if I don't tile behind the sink its going to stain very easily. Is it true?

Idefix Tue 28-Mar-17 20:47:34

Do you mean the splash back area behind the taps below the mirror? If yes I would say tiles will keep this are cleaner.

Imamouseduh Tue 28-Mar-17 21:39:59

Yes or it will look unfinished.

NotMyPenguin Tue 28-Mar-17 22:04:44

Yes, he is right.

But there are options other than tiles. You could choose to have a frosted glass splashback or similar (might look lighter? I lived somewhere with a lovely white frosted glass splashback behind the hob and it looked great). Or something contemporary like a panel of metal, stainless steel or copper.

SnowGlobes Wed 29-Mar-17 09:43:11

In our old house we didn't do anything behind the basin in our downstairs loo. It was painted cream and looked a bit tatty quite quickly. It was however used a LOT for when the kids came in from the garden with muddy hands etc. If you really don't want tiles, try a washable paint and paint over the area every now and then. You can always tile later if it's a pain. We didn't.

SnowGlobes Wed 29-Mar-17 09:44:57

Just to add that we had no tiles anywhere in the downstairs loo so it didn't look unfinished. But if youvevtikes elsewhere then it may do as I'm a mouse suggested.

Valbr123789 Wed 29-Mar-17 21:35:06

Thank you all for the great advice. I've checked with someone as well in interior design and yes, you tile all the way up to the wall, it will look less of a half job and should look nice. I can't believe how difficult it's been with so much choice! One down, on to the next room...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now