Advanced search

Help with what to do first for home extension

(25 Posts)
Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 15:49:36

We've so far only had quite casual chats about what's possible (one with a draughtsman and one with a local builder). We won't know how much money we have till October but maybe we need some quotes to find out how much we need to borrow ?
But do we need plans for quotes? In which case it may be best to wait till we know how much we have available? It feels a bit chicken and egg-do most people wait to see how much they have available and work from there or do we need a rough idea of cost before approaching our lender? Thanks for any help!

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:31:46


Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 19:34:50

We got an architect designer to get plans approved through council then draw up detailed building plans. Next step is the tendering process with builders, then contract then start. You need to decide if you want a separate project manager.

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 19:37:28

For order of magnitude cost, I did a budget myself by listing everything that needs to be done and then the architect sanity checked it. If you're only doing the extension there are fairly stable per sqm costs depending on the level of finish you want, then add other things you might need (rent if you move out, % contingency, moving boiler, new kitchen/bathroom, etc).

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:38:39

Thank you. Think we will have plans by draughtsman who came out before and hoping to do it via his company so sort of project managed I think through that.
Presumably before that bit then I do need to wait till we know exactly what funds we have? Or try and get rough quotes now?

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:38:55

Sorry x posted!

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 19:40:35

I have found it a bit difficult to get the right budget! I'm also working backwards a bit from the likely value of the house with extension, so that's our budget cap. It has to pay for itself.

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:41:57

Thank you. That's really helpful- think I saw something about cost per Sq metre so will go back to that. Have had kitchen quote as that will be in same place just with extension for dining bit. Walls knocking down etc I could probably find out a rough cost for too. I think my issue is partly knowing what to do of two or 3 ideas and that will depend on how much they cost.

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:42:39

That's a good idea. Is that based on other houses locally with the extension or similar in place ?

HiDBandSIL Tue 28-Mar-17 19:49:29

A builder will be able to give you a rough idea of cost. To get a proper full costing you'll need building regs / construction drawings which come down the line.

So I would get a ball-park figure from a builder and then find out if you can raise the finance to pay for it.

PragmaticWench Tue 28-Mar-17 19:56:19

Make sure you ask about any potential steel beams needed as that bumps up the cost.

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 19:59:02

Thank you. That's good to know it wouldn't be the wrong way around to get a rough quote. I will ask for that as a starting point from what it is we are hoping to do.

CakeThat Tue 28-Mar-17 20:05:43

When we enquirer with builders they said that they couldn't give a cost until they had seen plans so we had to get those done first. Like you say it's a bit chicken and egg because you don't exactly know what to put in your plans until you know the price.

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 20:24:20

Cakethat that's what I was worried about. A friend did give us a rough idea of price but we've changed ideas a bit since then. Tricky!

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 20:25:53

I'm wondering how much plans are as I think we may be best off starting with that , then if it's way too much we can rethink when the time comes since its only a matter of five months

spydie Tue 28-Mar-17 21:11:43

We were in a similar situation, OP, only the house we had bought already had the benefit of planning permission. We got quotes on the plans, and they varied hugely. We wanted to change the plans slightly, but hadn't wanted to do so until we had a rough idea of whether we could afford it.

We did choose a builder from the initial quotes, but we'd actually known him for a long while anyway. Plans were redone, re-approved, and building control drawings done. Builder has these along with a specification I drew up and is going to provide us with a more accurate cost.

Used2bthin Tue 28-Mar-17 22:02:42

Thanks Spydie. So perhaps I need to start by getting plans drawn up for what we ideally want and then cut back if quotes are then way over budget once things are clearer. Not sure if we will need planning permission and think that depends again on what we do but at least plans would enable us to check with something.

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 22:12:41

To answer your question upthread, it's a bit of a guess what the house will be worth post extension based on similar properties at the moment. Before we go ahead and commit I want to get an estate agent valuation considering the proposed plans.

Semaphorically Tue 28-Mar-17 22:13:36

We also used a planning consultant who knows the area in the early stages to get clear on what we could do under permitted development and what was likely to need planning permission.

heffalumpshavewrinkles Tue 28-Mar-17 22:31:02

You should be able to tell an architect your budget and they do plans based on this. Then you get quotes. Doesn't always work in theory though. As pp said, start with how much the work would add and any ceiling prices in your area. You then know not to go above this and can next apply for finance

johnd2 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:02:54

Agreed with heffalump, an architect is basically someone who helps you if you have no idea and want to end up with a good result.
We did that and his first question was budget and what are our needs. All LSO he completely changed all our ideas/preconceptions and designed a better result. And it was just under the amount he said it would cost in the end, although his was a very vague ballpark.

Used2bthin Wed 29-Mar-17 09:14:44

Just catching up on replies. I think then we need to bite the bullet and get plans done.
Thanks everyone,I was going round in circles with what comes first and feeling we'd need to wait but want to gt going as soon as we can once money is sorted so would be good if we had plans and quotes ahead of then.

Semaphorically Wed 29-Mar-17 09:35:20

Good idea, Used. I project manage (not construction but same principles) for a living and time and money spent on detailed planning pays for itself down the line. Changing your mind mid-build can be very expensive!

Used2bthin Wed 29-Mar-17 10:04:59

I bet! So far we've only had very minor work done and have had a tendency to get it done as cheaply as possible but I'm realising it's a false economy!

namechangedtoday15 Wed 29-Mar-17 12:36:54

If you're confident you can raise the cost, then yes, get plans drawn up. For us, we started with working out roughly what additional space we'd get and then did a very rough calculation of £2k per square metre, plus VAT, plus cost of kitchen / flooring / bathrooms then added a bit and approached the lender (we were planning to re-mortgage to finance it). Once they gave us an agreement in principal, we had the plans drawn up and got planning permission. Then we got builders to quote, then remortgaged & got the money, then waited 9 months for builder to fit us in then started.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: