Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Removing a gas fire

(10 Posts)
StillRunningWithScissors Tue 28-Mar-17 09:32:49

Hello,

We have an existing gas fire that we would like to remove and replace it with an inset multi fuel burner.

Having spoken to four different places, all have requested that we deal with the removal of the fire before they come out to inspect the chimney to quote/ascertain what we can realistically put in it's place.

One shop gave us a contact for someone that could do the work (we'd have to call the person ourselves). He apparently installs their gas fires, and can widen openings/put in lintels etc. They say that the work would not be above £250 (if we are only having removal of the fire, and not enlarging the opening, which is what we are looking at, then this cost should definitely be lower).

So, do we use someone like this, or is it a job that a Gas Safe engineer could do (handle the disconnection) and we pull the fire out ourselves?

We will be having an extension/renovation done, but not starting until August. We'd like to get the gas fire removed soon so we can determine which fires are possible to install, then decide on surround/mantle etc. and also to avoid the rush of people getting fires put in for winter/avoid delays or difficulty trying to squeeze this into the building works.

Has anyone had any experience of this? We're trying to do this in the least complicated way. But before we can choose options, we need the gas fire gone... but then how much work do we try to combine etc?

Phew, hope that wasn't a garbled mess!

fivepies Tue 28-Mar-17 09:35:46

Removing a gas fire isn't something you should do yourself. Just swallow the extra cost and get someone in who will remove it and disconnect it properly.
The new fitters do need access to the chimney to assess it, so you're not being given the wrong information.

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 28-Mar-17 09:51:05

Thanks fivepies. We weren't looking to disconnect the gas ourselves, but have someone cut it off at the source, and then we would physically take the fire itself out. I agree, we wouldn't mess around with gas!

I didn't think we had been given incorrect information about needing it out before a survey, it's more who do we employ to do it? The gas fire installer at possible £250, or a gas safe engineer?

I know my post was a bit garbled, so understandably hard to know what I was asking grin. I appreciate your reply

Ifailed Tue 28-Mar-17 09:53:50

you can get a gas safe engineer to disconnect it for you and cap out the pipe. The fire then is ok for you to take out.

StillRunningWithScissors Tue 28-Mar-17 09:55:49

Thanks Ifailed!

JaniceBattersby Tue 28-Mar-17 20:17:12

Yes a gas safe engineer will cap off the gas for you but hey may need to remove the fire anyway to do it. You're not paying much for the fire removal, you're paying for the expertise to allow the gas to be capped off.

Miniwookie Tue 28-Mar-17 22:59:57

£250 sounds a lot to me. Ring some gas safe engineers for prices.

Ilikethedaffodils Tue 28-Mar-17 23:06:44

We are planning to redecorate the living room in the Summer and this will involve removing a gas fire. I mentioned this to the gas engineer who came recently to service the boiler and asked him for a quote. he said he'd remove the fire and cap the gas supply for £50.

johnd2 Wed 29-Mar-17 09:06:12

If you just get the gas capped off it'll be cheaper, their guess is probably conservative anyway. Also get another quote from someone else. If you take the fire to the tip yourself it'll be cheaper even if he/she physically removes it as they have to pay for disposal.

HiDBandSIL Wed 29-Mar-17 17:18:33

We did this. £50 to get the gas capped off then take the fire out yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now