Advanced search

Fire risk assessment and asbestos report

(6 Posts)
theheatherjane1 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:26:43

Hi all

Trying to sell my london flat, which is in a converted house with the freeholder living downstairs, we share a hallway.
Buyer's solicitor has requested the above mentioned Fire risk & asbestos report.
This means nothing to me and I'm pretty sure it didn't crop up when I bought the flat six years ago.
Anyone have any experience of these?
I've done a light google and it seems like getting this report done may cost around £600, which actually makes me want to sit down and bawl.

WoopWoop200 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:30:35

Do you pay a service charge to the freeholder?
I am leasehold and pay a service charge to a management company. They pay to have the fire risk assessment and asbestos report on the behalf of owners selling/buying.

theheatherjane1 Mon 27-Mar-17 17:34:37

I'm meant to pay a small annual service charge to the guy downstairs but as I pay for 90percent of the house repairs then I've never bothered.
I'm so loathe to ask him to do this as he has many health problems and no money. Ugh.

wowfudge Mon 27-Mar-17 19:53:56

Ah - if you are supposed to pay a service charge then it's likely you will have to get up to date with the payments before you can exchange with your buyer.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 27-Mar-17 19:56:24

You may not need to get these done. My buyer last year asked about the same, but it was her solicitor's standard list of requests rather than a requirement as such. They were told there wasn't either document and that was the end of it.

theheatherjane1 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:41:19

Thank you
I've emailed the solicitors asking if we definitely need to get it done, we'll see what they come back with.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: