Talk

Advanced search

Roman blinds - inside recess or out? (pic)

(17 Posts)
NameChangedForPhoto Mon 27-Mar-17 08:49:43

We've been in our new house a month or so now and still haven't sorted the window coverings in the bedrooms. Fairly small bedrooms so planning on putting up roman blinds - previous owner had blinds so no fittings in place for curtains anyway & think they would make the rooms look smaller than they are.

So - 2 north facing, 2 south facing. Where do we fit the blinds? I keep changing my mind. They are UPVC windows but the original wooden surrounds are still there. Ideally we would maximise light in the daytime & block out as much as we can at night. Not a massive distance between window frame & ceiling so I thought either inside the recess or attached to the wooden frame at the top (think this is what previous owner did as there are holes in the frame).

Pic attached of one of the south facing windows. 3 are the same size as this and the 4th is about twice as wide but same height. Name changed as pic would be identifying!

Would like to get them ordered today so any thoughts appreciated.

JakeBallardswife Mon 27-Mar-17 08:52:14

Nice frame, top of window frame.

MissisBoote Mon 27-Mar-17 08:53:44

As they are smaller windows I'd put them outside the recess on the window frame so that the finished blind is the size of the frame.

This means that when you've got them pulled up they'll let in more light.

missyB1 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:00:27

I'm having the same dilemma! I have upvc windows similar to yours. I'm going to ask a local lady to make mine so I'm hoping she will tell me what's best.

ladypie21 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:05:17

I like the window surround so would go inside the frame to allow the surround to be seen. You could go roller blinds to allow maximum light in? If you definitely want Roman then i would go outside on the frame.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:30:02

Inside.

I've done both. In a previous kitchen I did them outside because I wanted as much light to come into the room so I wanted them gathered up and away from the window if that makes sense. The only thing I would say is that it doesn't look as neat as inside the recess - if you see the blind side on you can see the folds and usually a bit of daylight.

Also, if its outside the recess, it will be "pushed out" by the windowsill so you'll have a gap of light coming in at each side.

Miniwookie Mon 27-Mar-17 10:38:33

Inside the recess. Looks much neater and keeps the light out properly.

NameChangedForPhoto Mon 27-Mar-17 20:28:50

Thanks all - but still can't make my mind up! Veering towards inside as I think it would look neater and I do like the frames - but I don't want to block more light than is necessary in the north-facing rooms. I might sleep on it...

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 27-Mar-17 20:58:36

Put up a piece of cardboard in the space they would take up in the frames - and see how much light is blocked - if you can live with it then go inside - if it's too dark - go outside frame ?!

NakedMum33and3rd Mon 27-Mar-17 20:58:38

Just jumping on this thread as I have been struggling with the same decision.
If the blind is fitted to the inside where does it hang from?

Belindabelle Mon 27-Mar-17 21:03:42

I prefer outside as it dresses the window better. In fact I know like to hang them right up to the ceiling that way you can still see some of the fabric whilst allowing maximum light.

Belindabelle Mon 27-Mar-17 21:03:58

Now

ZeldaWasMyGransName Wed 29-Mar-17 12:35:32

Same issue here. I was all for inside until
I watched some house programme The Great Interior Design one and they put them on the outside well above and it made the window look bigger. Inside IMHO makes the window look smaller and cramped? And for the drop of mine when closed is big, so if it was inside would block a lot of light.

TheEmmaDilemma Wed 29-Mar-17 15:02:39

Inside, so much neater.

VeritysWatchTower Wed 29-Mar-17 16:05:27

Mine is inside the recess but the window is huge and I would love those wooden surrounds.

The only faff is that the cord to pull it up is behind the blind meaning each morning I have to lift the blind toward me to grasp behind for the cord.

But I think it looks really neat inside the recess, and sits on the windowsill when down not pushed out by the windowsill. My room that I have it in is south facing and the window is large so light isn't an issue.

HmmOkay Wed 29-Mar-17 16:14:07

Inside as your wooden surround is an attractive feature. It would be a shame to cover it.

Deux Wed 29-Mar-17 16:23:14

If you want to have as much light as possible then have them on the outside.

If you have them in the recess you'll block the top part of the window and they'll also be in the way when you want to open the window.

As a PP suggests I'd mount them at the top of the wall so that when they're open the bottom of the blind just covers the top of the frame. This will lengthen your window and you'll still see 3 sides of the frame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now