Talk

Advanced search

Underfloor heating? Anyone got it as their main heating in a house?

(14 Posts)
scissormister Sun 26-Mar-17 23:06:19

We're probably moving into a house that needs a heating system putting in. I've had underfloor heating in a small flat previously (dry, electric) and it was great. But this is a 3 bed 2 reception house. Will it work as the primary and/,or only heating, do you think? Concerned it may be very expensive and not give off enough heat on its own. I am thinking dry electric system as i don't think taking the floors up to install wet will be practical.

johnd2 Mon 27-Mar-17 09:59:14

Firstly is the house well insulated? If not then you'll need supplementary heating and plenty of it.
Secondly your electric bill will be high unless you have very good insulation. Electric heating will cost nearly 4 times as much to run as gas although cheaper to install.
If you install electric under floor heating downstairs you still have to take up the floor to insulate, otherwise most of your heat will go into the ground, making it even more costly.

Miniwookie Mon 27-Mar-17 10:31:21

It will be very expensive. I have a friend who has it in her (large) extension, but rarely put it on as it's too expensive. I have another friend who has wet UFH in her barn conversion and that is great. It's always toasty warm and the warm floors feel lovely underfoot in winter.

katronfon Mon 27-Mar-17 10:36:28

We have (and have had in previous home) wet underfloor heating as the only heating downstairs and would never go back. It's brilliant, tricky not to get too warm on occasion, and cost-effective. Unfortunately I don't know about the electric type - but yes it sound like it might be expensive.

The only thing I would say is that if you have a stone floor, the floor retains and releases the heat for absolutely ages so you don't need to have the heating on for most of the day - I'm wondering if electric underfloor heating would be feasible if you put a good floor on top?

Usernamewithnodigits Mon 27-Mar-17 11:13:52

IME if you need the temp to rise/lower quickly by turning down the thermostat, you won't get this. From my experience it took 12 hours for the change to be actioned.

This was in a brand new build house 15 years ago. Maybe it's changed since?

Efferlunt Mon 27-Mar-17 11:20:46

Think wet is cheaper to run. We have it in our big open plan kitchen diner. It's still not cheap but very effective. Takes ages to cool down and heat up. We turned it off when away over xmas and it was freezing for two days while it heated up again. We have other rooms downstairs but we tend to live in this one in the winter. I do love having warm toes!

PigletJohn Mon 27-Mar-17 12:58:00

gas fired heating is far far cheaper to run than electric.

As for concrete or stone floors holding the heat, yes they do, but if a room needs (say) 20kWh of heat to warm it for a day, then that's the amount of energy you need to put into it. If you only run the heating for an hour, and only put 2kWh of heat into it, it will be cold.

If the concrete takes a long time to give out its heat, it will take a long time (and lots of energy) to get it hot.

scissormister Mon 27-Mar-17 21:08:53

Thanks, that's all useful to know. I had the impression wet ufh would be a lot more hassle to install, but perhaps not.

PigletJohn Mon 27-Mar-17 21:13:04

wet UFH is more work and expense to install, unless you are already going to lay a new floor, for example in an extension or a new build.

bojorojo Mon 27-Mar-17 23:24:50

We have wet for most of the ground floor apart from the study and the lounge which are the older parts of the house. They have radiators. It is great but we have air source heat pumps so our whole system is electric: we replaced oil. No gas in village. We have electric u f h in bathrooms and I wouldn't be without it. If you can do wet u f h in a new build I would do it. Your furniture can go where you please. We have engineered wood and ceramic tiles and they are great with the u f h.

scissormister Tue 28-Mar-17 21:40:13

Thanks for the advice. It is not a new build but needs the floors replacing in the main ground floor rooms. Would it be fairly straightforward to lay wet UFH if the floorboards are coming up anyway? I am also concerned about cracking floor boards due to change of temperature (saw this can be an issue on another forum). Would engineered wood be OK?

PigletJohn Tue 28-Mar-17 22:03:27

yes, AFAIK. You fit spreader plates over the pipes to let the warm air dissipate.

Find some manufacturers' websites and have a look at their guidance.

Miniwookie Tue 28-Mar-17 22:42:27

Yes you can used engineered wood, but not solid. If you look on flooring supplier websitest they usually say if it's suitable for UFH or not.

scissormister Tue 28-Mar-17 22:46:37

Thanks,!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now