Talk

Advanced search

Upstand with glass splashback?

(15 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 26-Mar-17 16:29:25

Currently arguing with DH on this.

I want an upstand, he doesn't.

Cream high gloss units, black quartz or granite worktops and silver coloured glass splashbacks.

What would you go for?

CycleHire Sun 26-Mar-17 16:32:43

We have black granite worksurfaces and also back granite upstands, windowsill and splashback behind the hob. I didn't want to introduce too many different materials to the kitchen as we wanted a simple sleek look.

Bearbehind Sun 26-Mar-17 16:36:54

We definitely need something on the walls other than paint (messy cooks) so the glass splashback is non- negiotable.

It's whether to have upstands or glass down to the worktops.

Sarahsea1 Sun 26-Mar-17 17:28:09

It looks cleaner if you have glass down to the worktop. The glass will be thinner than the upstand so if you have it sitting on top of the upstand, you'll have a ridge. Just make sure it's well sealed along the bottom so dirt doesn't get trapped.

Manijo Sun 26-Mar-17 17:35:32

Just doing the same in our new kitchenand I've decided against the quarz upstands with the glass because I think it gives a smother line and also less of a dirt trap.

Bearbehind Sun 26-Mar-17 17:36:30

Oh no- That's my DH 's argument sarah

I'm not being remotely practical but I just think it 'looks' better to have an upstand.

AutumnEve Sun 26-Mar-17 18:28:06

I vote no upstand with the glass splashback. I think it would look weird if you have upstands everywhere else and not behind the cooker.

littlestar34 Sun 26-Mar-17 18:31:31

Hi. We were going to have no upstand behind range cooker but have a stainless steel splashback going down to the range. However due to a bit of a fitting issue we had a gap at the back of the oven which was sorted with a thin piece of granite and a continuation of the upstand all the way round the work top including behind the range. We then thought about glass but actually have nothing. The paint we have is very 'wipeable' so it's been fine.

Bearbehind Sun 26-Mar-17 18:37:27

I was planning to run the upstand behind the cooker too if that helps!

MiaowTheCat Sun 26-Mar-17 18:45:20

I've got upstands all around as I think they finish the look of the worktops off and if I ever get round to fitting the bugger (long long story) the splashback will fit starting above that. The gap in the upstand would drive me mad looking at it. At the moment we've got painted wall behind the hob and actually it's been fine in terms of me wiping splatters off it - and I'm not a tidy cook!

SheepyFun Sun 26-Mar-17 18:50:41

Won't a glass splashback scratch when you clean it? We have toughened glass over one of our worksurfaces to provide a really large heat safe area, but it has slowly scratched.

sunshinesupermum Sun 26-Mar-17 18:52:45

I have glass worktops and splashbacks - perfect!

sunshinesupermum Sun 26-Mar-17 18:55:42

Sorry - pressed enter before I'd finished - my upstand is stainless steel which is also above the glass splashback, going up to bottom of cupboards IYSWIM

Three materials - white for the units, stainless steel and turquoise glass

Bearbehind Sun 26-Mar-17 18:57:00

Yay sunshine you're my new best friend!

I've not really thought about the glass scratching but I wouldn't use anything abrasive to clean it.

sunshinesupermum Sat 15-Apr-17 14:46:58

bearbehind I am in need of a new BF! What have you finally decided to go with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now