We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Waste pipe flooding

(17 Posts)
hiddenmnetter Sun 26-Mar-17 11:48:18

Hi, was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction:

I live in a 30's terrace house in east London. My house has a lean-to that encloses the previously outside toilet and the 4 and 1/4 inch waste pipe that takes waste from the upstairs bathroom.

It appears that when there is particularly heavy use of the waste pipe (from a long shower or a bath) the waste pipe starts to leak. I'm not sure where it's leaking from but it's making me wonder if the pipe isn't blocked a bit and it's backing up.

Any ideas on how I could test this and try to resolve? Or any other experience that might suggest what the issue is?

Thanks

Spickle Sun 26-Mar-17 13:32:38

Can you access the manhole that the waste pipe empties into? Just wondering if the manhole has filled up and needs rodding, causing the waste pipe to not be able to discharge the waste.

hiddenmnetter Sun 26-Mar-17 13:41:56

I can access the manhole but not right now (my neighbours are fixing their car over it). I'll check when I get access again. It's a good idea it might be the problem.

Villagernumber9 Sun 26-Mar-17 19:24:33

If you can, dry the pipe, fill the bath, empty the bath and see where your leak is.
If you have a troth where the bath water flows in, it would probably be there.

hiddenmnetter Sun 26-Mar-17 22:31:09

I do have a troth. I'll check that if you think that could be blocked. I did think that if it was the troth I'd see water streaks down the side of the pipe which I couldn't see (just undisturbed dust). Alternatively I guess I'd have to snake or camera the pipe?

Villagernumber9 Mon 27-Mar-17 00:10:30

Sorry, meant trough or down pipe hopper.
Sometimes when the waste pipe is at the wrong angle, water will spill out over the top of the hopper.
Does it look like the water is splashed around the area of the down pipe?

hiddenmnetter Mon 27-Mar-17 07:24:45

That's what I meant- there is one but if it was leaking from there I expected to see water marks washing away dust from the down pipe but it all looks old and dusty still (it's the original cast iron pipe with clamps on it that get dusty).

johnd2 Mon 27-Mar-17 10:03:17

I might have missed something, but what evidence do you have that tits leaking? Presumably you can't see a leak otherwise toys know where the problem was.

Villagernumber9 Mon 27-Mar-17 10:24:28

If it's the old cast iron, it could be leaking from anywhere.
Might be better in the long run to replace it.
It's not a hard or expensive DIY job to do.

hiddenmnetter Mon 27-Mar-17 10:32:29

Oh the evidence of the leak is after a bath was emptied the leanto had water all over the floor which was traceable to the pipe.

I wonder if it might be the pipe in the floor that has corroded and is leaking "up" if you get what I mean. However if I replace the pipe I should have a clear view of the pipe to see if it's blocked..

Villagernumber9 Mon 27-Mar-17 18:55:07

Do you have long hair?

hiddenmnetter Mon 27-Mar-17 19:16:36

I don't but my wife does- you think it could be jammed up with hair?

Villagernumber9 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:28:11

My wife and daughter both have long hair. You should see the tangled sludgy mess I've had to pull out to unblock the down pipe.

hiddenmnetter Mon 27-Mar-17 19:51:01

I think you might be right. I'll have to snake the drain then. Thanks

TomHaverford Mon 27-Mar-17 19:54:08

Get new pipes.

MrsMoastyToasty Mon 27-Mar-17 19:59:40

If the drains were blocked you would notice that the sinks and toilets on the ground floor were starting to back up first (provided of course that they drain to the same manhole )

hiddenmnetter Mon 27-Mar-17 20:04:30

Real helpful TomH.

I don't think they're blocked. As it only seems to happen when baths drain or someone has a long shower I think it's partially blocked. Sort of my own personal 'fatberg' although it seems like 'hairberg' might be more apt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now