Talk

Advanced search

Airflow systems

(13 Posts)
Howlongtilldinner Sat 25-Mar-17 15:07:58

I have a problem with mould/condensation. I have done everything recommended to alleviate it, however, it still comes back.

Has anybody installed one of those envirovent airflow systems? If so, are you finding a difference? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks in advance

PossumInAPearTree Sat 25-Mar-17 15:26:47

I know a friend of mine did and would recommend it.

I was thinking about it but dh dragging his feet due to cost. I put the heating up to 20degrees this year and that made a big difference.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 15:26:49

tell us what you've tried so far.

How long do you open the windows each day, how long do you run the extractor fan after each bath or shower, where do you put your wet washing.

Have you got a water meter?

Which rooms is it in?

Howlongtilldinner Sat 25-Mar-17 15:32:10

Ok so I open windows throughout showering, and for as long as possible after. Have a dehumidifier which I run on a timer. I try hard not to dry washing indoors, I take it to the launderette or have the dehumidifier on. I get it in nearly every room, but mostly the bathroom, that's where most of the moisture is from.

I don't think the fan is efficient enough.

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 15:39:57

if the wind is on that side, it will blow the steam into the house.

Start with a more powerful extractor fan.

Does it go through a hole in the wall? Is it a 4-inch one?

Howlongtilldinner Sat 25-Mar-17 15:43:48

Yes it is through the wall and 4"

daisychicken Sat 25-Mar-17 15:53:30

We installed an envirovent in January. We previously had terrible mould issues in our bathroom. We had a strong extractor fan, we opened windows, we used a dehumidifier (in fact we even bought a more powerful one to try that too). We regularly treated the walls with mould killer etc.. but the mould just kept coming back. It was awful. So we ripped the bathroom out (big job and not necessarily needed but we were installing a new shower etc), took all the plaster off the walls and went back to brick and ceiling lathes. This meant all mould spores were removed. We re-plaster boarded with special plasterboard designed for bathrooms. Then re plastered etc etc. We installed an envirovent.

The bathroom has been in use for 3 months and it's amazing! Moisture is quickly drawn out, the tiles dry so quickly after our showers (3 in a row on the mornings) and we have no condensation. The warmth is recirculated and the bathroom stays constant temperature wise. There is a constant fan noise but it's not intrusive. There's also a constant draft but it's just like having the window open in summer.

We recommend it. It wasn't cheap but it's been well worth the money. Everyone who saw our old bathroom and knew the issues and what we had tried in order to solve the problem has been impressed too.

Message me if you'd like any other information. I'm not affiliated at all just very impressed!!

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 17:01:25

4" means it is rather small. The most throughput you will find is about 80 cu.m/hr. Larger and more powerful ones are available if you are willing to do more work having them fitted.

We can find a modern near-silent one that you can leave running fairly continuously. These have a ball-bearing motor so last well. Being the same size it will be easy to swap in. They are usually connected via the light fitting so they are on whenever the light is on.

This brand has a good reputation. You will see they use about 8Watts, meaning they will run for 125 hours on about 12p worth of electricity.

This is a very simple and economical approach.

If the fan is directly above the bath or shower, we need to know its height above floor level, as extra regulations apply.

If necessary, you can hang damp washing over the bath and the fan will suck out the water vapour.

Bathroom fans work best with the door and window closed. They will draw in air from the house through the gap under the bathroom door.

ThisNight Sat 25-Mar-17 17:08:14

I have this which is a lot cheaper than the envirovent. I was sceptical, however it is amazing and cleared the condensation immediately.

It's meant to reduce heating bills, although I'm not sure I've noticed a difference.

The biggest thing was my asthma improved massively.

Howlongtilldinner Sat 25-Mar-17 17:51:32

daisy thanks for your feedback, exactly what I wanted, tried and tested!

piglet would I need to get an electrician to put that in for me? The one I have is in a false ceiling so the ducting is not straightforward.

thisnight looks and sounds brilliant but not sure it would go in a flat, I will call them on Monday though, thank you!

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 18:57:25

ah, if it's in a false ceiling, you may be able to have a ducted one, which can be more powerful and very quiet. They are tucked away because they are rather big and ugly. Some can have two speed settings, so you could start out with the high one, and, if you wish, have it reset once you are satisfied that the residual damp is cleared and you just need to prevent it building up. It is done in the wiring connections, unless you buy a separate speed controller which is surprisingly expensive.

ignore the cheap shower fans at the top of the page, which are so weedy as to be useless

Can you show us pics of your old fan, and visible trunking, and the vent on the outside of the building?

The ones I linked earlier can be connected to a 100mm/4 inch ish duct.

It would be best to have it fitted by an electrician.

Howlongtilldinner Sat 25-Mar-17 20:59:51

piglet I cannot see any visible trunking. The depth of the false ceiling and the ceiling itself I don't think is very much, I will check tomorrow when I take a pic. I think I was told (can't remember who/when) that in line wasn't possible, could that be because of the small space between ceilings?

There is no brand on the fan so I've no idea of the power level, but I've had it on, closed door and window, and even after many hours the room was not fully dry. No humidistat either..probably a real cheapie!

PigletJohn Sat 25-Mar-17 21:46:17

trunking is usually 100mm/4 inch or so, but a rectangular version is available that is wider and flatter.

The inline fans at almost always bulbous and fatter at the waist than the trunking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now