Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas why the paint is doing this?

(17 Posts)
CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 12:52:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HelenBach Sat 25-Mar-17 13:08:14

If you painted straight onto the plasterboard it's probably old wallpaper paste that's not been cleaned off. Easiest way to fix it would be to put lining paper up on affected walls and paint over that.

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 14:21:45

newmumwithquestions Sat 25-Mar-17 14:25:06

I don't know anything about painting on wallpaper paste but that looks like a wall of ours that we painted on fresh plaster that was still a tiny bit damp.... could the wall have been wet for some reason?

ExplodedCloud Sat 25-Mar-17 15:06:16

Is the wall damp?

DropZoneOne Sat 25-Mar-17 15:09:20

Looks like damp. Was it a newly plastered wall? Is it an exterior wall?

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 15:22:49

Semaphorically Sat 25-Mar-17 15:26:02

Our paint did that when the wall was damp. We had to have our (large) dehumidifier running full blast for about two weeks to properly dry it out, after fixing the leak in the roof that was causing the problem.

ladypie21 Sat 25-Mar-17 15:38:32

Our paint did this in one room, even though every room had wallpaper removed. I can only guess it was a type of paste used that we just couldn't remove. We sanded, sealed the walls with zinnser bin primer and repainted. Been fine since!

IHaveAToiletBrush Sat 25-Mar-17 15:41:42

Is it matt paint painted over silk? The matt can't dry properly and flakes off.

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 16:11:12

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 16:12:02

cujo Sat 25-Mar-17 19:54:59

I've had this before, it was when the underneath paint layers hadn't dried before a vinyl coat was painted over the top. In my case it was a couple of layers of soft sheen.

I popped the bubbles and pushed them down. Then waited a week before another coat of paint.

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Sat 25-Mar-17 20:02:45

Looks like theres old wallpaper paste left in patches to me, we had a similar effect.

I think I'd ask the decorator to come and determine why his painting is bubbling tho? If he was paid to do it all, he should have prepared the walls suitably, and it shouldn't do this - he may offer to sort it out?

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 20:28:52

ohidoliketobebesidethecoast Sat 25-Mar-17 20:39:53

I understand! Had a similar experience with someone doing a job in my house - the texted reasons he couldn't come each day started to become almost funny, if it hadn't been for my DS trying to do GCSEs with nowhere to study.
I ended up driving round buying things he ran out of, to stop him vanishing for 3-4 hours to 'the shops'..and at the end, most of it was left over, and I drove round again, returning it... :-/.

I'd sand the areas really, really well, wash with sugar soap, or some equivalent (that will shift greasy, slimy paste residue). Check the surface isn't still slippy, wash more if it is, then dry for plenty of time (dehumidifier if poss).

Then, I'd paint it again.

Maybe try that for a bad patch, to see if it solves it?
Or if you can't bear all that (and can afford it) ask friends for a good decorator contact, and get them to sort it. Good luck OP!

CheepAndOrm Sat 25-Mar-17 20:50:18

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now