Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully disputed a valuation?

(7 Posts)
SimileMilly Sat 25-Mar-17 12:41:40

I'm in the process of remortgaging my house for debt consolidation purposes after my husband walked out and left me with a huge credit card debt. Everything had gone through subject to the valuation. I gave my estimated value based on the lower amount of three estate agents values. This is also the home report value of the comparable property two doors down from me which has just sold. Before that no other same sized properties have sold in our street for over two years.

The surveyor has valued it at £10k less. I can only assume he's based it on same size properties in surrounding streets, although comparable bigger properties in these streets also sell for a lot less than bigger properties in our development.

My mortgage advisor has said I can try contesting it (she wasn't too optimistic this would be successful). Has anyone done this with any success?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 25-Mar-17 12:47:12

Does 10k really make that much difference?

SimileMilly Sat 25-Mar-17 12:48:18

Movingonup at this moment in time, it's the difference between getting the mortgage and not.

johnd2 Sat 25-Mar-17 12:51:11

Yes,I think they always er on the safe side but if you can provide evidence of similar properties then it would help a lot. I think for ours they said 3 properties sold in 3 months nearby, then work out out from that.

EmmaC78 Sat 25-Mar-17 12:52:51

I had this recently when I was applying for a let to buy mortgage. Valuation came back as £10k less and the mortgage broker said it was not worth appealing as they never changed them.

SimileMilly Sat 25-Mar-17 12:54:26

johnd2 did you manage to appeal yours?

johnd2 Sat 25-Mar-17 19:21:07

No in the end we didn't need to as the seller dropped the price to match the valuation but the estate agents said the year before there were so many down valuations due to the sudden increase in house prices and they had to go through the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now